John L. Cochran papers
The John L. Cochran Papers consist of a report card (1879) from the secondary school Cochran attended before entering the Virginia Military Institute; one letter (September 4, 1880) from VMI Cadet Cochran to his mother; a diary, with sketches (1881), containing short and sporadic entries made while he was a student at the Virginia Military Institute and concerning various aspects of cadet life; and four volumes of class notes (1882-1885) taken while Cochran was a student at Swarthmore College and the University of Virginia, with some examples of poetry and sketches interspersed.
- 1879 - 1885
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions
Conditions Governing Use
There are no known restrictions. The user assumes all responsibility for identifying and satisfying any claimants of copyright. The VMI Archives must be cited as the source of the content in publication. Contact the VMI Archives for additional information.
Biographical / Historical
John Lynn Cochran was born at "Folly Farm" in Augusta County, Virginia on November 9, 1863. His parents were James C. Cochran and Elizabeth Brooke. He attended the Virginia Military Institute during the period 1879-1881, and subsequently attended Swarthmore College (Pennsylvania), from which he graduated in 1883. In the fall of 1883 he enrolled at the University of Virginia, where he became ill with typhoid fever. Cochran never regained his health and he died at "Folly Farm" on January 22, 1887.
- Swarthmore College -- Students
- University of Virginia -- Students
- Virginia Military Institute -- Academics -- History -- 19th century
- Virginia Military Institute -- Cadet Life -- 1880-1889
- Virginia Military Institute -- Cadet compositions -- Poetry
- Virginia Military Institute -- Cadet drawings
- Virginia Military Institute -- Class of 1883
- A GUIDE TO THE JOHN L. COCHRAN PAPERS, 1879-1885