Thomas F. Barksdale papers
The collection consists of two items. 1. Letter dated January 25, 1855 from a Prussian official, denying Barksdale and his roommates permission to enter the Prussian Army. 2. Notebook contains class notes, including notes taken in Stonewall Jackson's class section in Natural Philsophy (a course that would today be most similar to Physics) and notes taken in Analytical Geometry class taught by Francis H. Smith; resolution issued by cadets following murder of Cadet Thomas Blackburn, Class of 1854; poetry; autographs of the Class of 1855; list of roommates and room numbers.
- 1851 - 1855
Conditions Governing Access
Open to researchers.
Conditions Governing Access Materials in the VMI Archives Collections are made available for educational and research use and may be used for non-commercial purposes with appropriate attribution. The user assumes all responsibility for identifying and satisfying any claimants of copyright. Materials from our collections may not be redistributed, published or reproduced without permission. Contact the VMI Archives for additional information about the use of our collections.
Biographical / Historical
Thomas F. Barksdale b. 1833, Halifax County, Virginia; graduate Virginia Military Institute, Class of 1855; Confederate veteran; lawyer, judge, teacher, d. 1902, Roanoke, VA.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Emily Barksdale
- Blackburn, Tom, 1834-1854
- Jackson, Stonewall, 1824-1863
- Mathematics -- Study and teaching
- Physics -- Study and teaching
- Smith, Francis H. (Francis Henney), 1812-1890
- Virginia Military Institute -- Academics -- History -- 19th century
- Virginia Military Institute -- Cadet compositions -- Poetry
- Virginia Military Institute -- Cadet life -- 1850-1859
- Virginia Military Institute -- Class of 1855
- Virginia Military Institute -- Curricula