John B. Snodgrass Civil War Letters
Eight letters and one letter fragment from Cadet Snodgrass to his sister Kate. All dated 1862 and written from VMI. Primary topic is the war and its effect on his family; occasional references to VMI. Mentions that Corps of Cadets has been ordered to aid General Jackson (see April 19, May 1, May 18); says he is "anxious to get a shot at the enemy."
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions
Conditions Governing Use
Manuscript collections in the VMI Archives are made available for educational and research use. The VMI Archives should be cited as the source. The user assumes all responsibility for identifying and satisfying any copyright holders. Materials from our collections may not be redistributed, published or reproduced without permission from the VMI Archives. Contact the VMI Archives for additional information.
Biographical / Historical
John B. Snodgrass b. 1843, Berkeley County, West Virginia; non-graduate, Virginia Military Institute Class of 1864; physician; d. 1908, Martinsburg, WVA.
- Snodgrass family
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Home life
- Virginia Military Institute -- Cadet life -- 1860-1869
- Virginia Military Institute -- Cadet life -- 1861-1865
- Virginia Military Institute -- Class of 1864
- Virginia Military Institute -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865