Philip C. Gibbs notebook
Notebook (ca. 145 pages) reflecting cadet life 1848-1851. Includes accounts of Corps trips to Richmond, Petersburg, Norfolk and Rockbridge Alum Springs; cadet poetry and essays; poetry by Sara Henderson Smith; addresses delivered before the Cadet Dialectic Society (a literary and debating society); discussion of exams (1851) in English and Natural Philosophy; an account of "An Oyster Supper---A Frolic After Taps", and an account of "our last bible recitation" in which Gibbs describes the last session of his cadetship with Superintendent Francis H. Smith.
- 1849 - 1851
Conditions Governing Access
Open to researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
Collections in the VMI Archives are made available for educational and research use. The VMI Archives should be cited as the source. The user assumes all responsibility for identifying and satisfying any claimants of copyright and for adhering to publication requirements. Materials from our collections may not be redistributed, published or reproduced without permission. Contact the VMI Archives for additional information.
Biographical / Historical
Philip Cromwell Gibbs, b. 1831, Martinsburg WVA; graduate VMI Class of 1851; teacher and merchant; died 1859, Booneville, Missouri.
- College students -- Religious life
- Rockbridge Alum Springs (Va.)
- Universities and colleges -- Religion
- Virginia Military Institute -- Cadet compositions -- Poetry
- Virginia Military Institute -- Cadet compositions -- Prose
- Virginia Military Institute -- Cadet debating societies
- Virginia Military Institute -- Cadet life -- 1840-1849
- Virginia Military Institute -- Cadet life -- 1850-1859
- Virginia Military Institute -- Cadet literary societies
- Virginia Military Institute -- Cadet organizations
- Virginia Military Institute -- Class of 1851
- Virginia Military Institute -- Curricula
- Virginia Military Institute -- Faculty -- Anecdotes
Part of the Virginia Military Institute Archives Repository
Lexington VA 24450
Lexington VA 24450