George L. H. Cooper papers
The collection consists of 2 items. 1. VMI scrapbook compiled by Cadet George Cooper. Included are photographs, athletic and dance programs, clippings, and other mementos collected by Cooper during his cadetship, 1928-1932. 2. Typescript memoirs, approximately 325 pages, detailing Cooper's Marine Corps Service in the Pacific Theater during World War II. He served with the 2d Combat Engineer Battalion, 2d Marine Division.
- 1928 - 1932
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions
Conditions Governing Use
Manuscript collections in the VMI Archives are made available for educational and research use. The VMI Archives should be cited as the source. The user assumes all responsibility for identifying and satisfying any copyright holders. Materials from our collections may not be redistributed, published or reproduced without permission from the VMI Archives. Contact the VMI Archives for additional information.
Biographical / Historical
George Lawrence Hawkins Cooper, b. 1911 Hattiesburg, MS; LTC United States Marine Corps; educator; d. 1984, Biloxi, MS; buried Hawaii.
- Cooper, George L. H. (George Lawrence Hawkins), 1911-1984
- United States -- Marine Corps -- Officers -- Biography
- United States. -- Marine Corps. -- Marine Division, 2nd
- Virginia Military Institute -- Athletics
- Virginia Military Institute -- Cadet Life -- 1920-1929
- Virginia Military Institute -- Class of 1932
- Virginia Military Institute -- Photographs
- Virginia Military Institute -- Scrapbooks
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Pacific Area