John C. Monks collection
This collection contains miscellaneous papers of John C. Monks, Jr. Included are some materials relating to the theatrical production of "Brother Rat" (contract; original script; receipts for services from Garson Kanin); items concerning various VMI Class of 1932 reunions; photographs; and the typescript manuscript (1944) of the book "A Ribbon and A Star. The Third Marines at Bougainville" published in 1945.
- 1932 - 1944
- Monks, John Cherry (Person)
Restrictions on Access
Open to researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
Manuscript collections in the VMI Archives are made available for educational and research use. The VMI Archives should be cited as the source. The user assumes all responsibility for identifying and satisfying any copyright holders. Materials from our collections may not be redistributed, published or reproduced without permission from the VMI Archives. Contact the VMI Archives for additional information.
.5 cubic feet
Biographical / Historical
John C. Monks, Jr., b. 1910; VMI Class of 1932; writer, director, producer; co-author, with Fred Finklehoffe, of "Brother Rat."
- Brother Rat (play and feature film)
- United States -- Marine Corps -- Regiment, 3rd
- Virginia Military Institute -- Class of 1932
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Solomon Islands
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Regimental histories -- United States -- Marine Corps -- 3d Regiment