Robert Gatewood notebook and diary
Manuscript notebook-diary (1849-1853) of Robert Gatewood. Entries include original and copies poetry dating from his last year at VMI; essays; diary entries dating from period 1851-1853, written while Gatewood was teaching at the College of William and Mary. Diary entries and notes frequently have a religious theme.
- 1849 - 1853
- Gatewood, Robert, 1829-1909 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions
Conditions Governing Use
Manuscript collections in the VMI Archives are made available for educational and research use. The VMI Archives should be cited as the source. The user assumes all responsibility for identifying and satisfying any copyright holders. Materials from our collections may not be redistributed, published or reproduced without permission from the VMI Archives. Contact the VMI Archives for additional information.
Biographical / Historical
Robert Gatewood, b. 1829; VMI Class of 1849; educator, Episcopal clergyman, Principal of Norfolk (VA) Academy; d. 1909.
- College of William and Mary -- History
- Episcipal Church -- Clergy -- Biography
- Universities and colleges -- Religion
- Virginia Military Institute -- Alumni -- Biography
- Virginia Military Institute -- Cadet compositions -- Poetry
- Virginia Military Institute -- Cadet life -- 1840-1849
- Virginia Military Institute -- Class of 1849