Joseph W. Crowther diary
Diary of Union soldier Joseph W. Crowther, who served during the Civil War with Company H., 128th New York Infantry Regiment. Diary is bound in leather, ca. 3 1/2" x 6" x 14", 131 pages; entries begin November 9 1864 and end July 23 1865 when regiment is disbanded. Crowther describes camp life; foraging; skirmishes; winter quarters in Winchester, Virginia; transport via steamship to Fort Monroe, Virginia and Savannah, Georgia; soldiers receiving news of the assassination of President Lincoln; description of soldiers'return to New York at end of war. Locations mentioned or described include Kernstown, Front Royal, Winchester, Martinsburg, Harper's Ferry, Baltimore, Savannah, and Goldsboro.
- 1864 - 1865
- Crowther, Joseph W., 1833-1924? (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions
Conditions Governing Use
Manuscript collections in the VMI Archives are made available for educational and research use. The VMI Archives should be cited as the source. The user assumes all responsibility for identifying and satisfying any copyright holders. Materials from our collections may not be redistributed, published or reproduced without permission from the VMI Archives. Contact the VMI Archives for additional information.
1 items (diary: 1 bound in leather (volume (131 p.) :, 9 cm. x 16 cm))
Biographical / Historical
Joseph Wesley Crowther born 1833 in England. Immigrated to USA 1842. Living in Fishkill, New York at time of Civil War. Enlisted in Company H, New York 128th Infantry Regiment on 29 Aug 1862.Promoted to Full Corporal on September 2, 1864. Mustered out on 12 Jul 1865 at Savannah, GA. Postwar lived in Bridgeport, Connecticut; died there July 17, 1925. Wife's name Sarah' son's name William A. (1853-1939).
- Savannah (Ga.) -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- Soldiers -- New York (State) -- Diaries
- United States -- Army -- New York Infantry Regiment, 128th -- Company H
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives
- Virginia -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives
- Winchester (Va.) -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865