Richard H. Adams, Jr. papers, 1862-1866
Collection — Box: 1
Civil War papers (ca. 80 items) of Captain Richard H. Adams, Jr. Consist of manuscript diary kept while serving with the 5th Alabama Regiment in Virginia, April-June 1862, with accompanying typewritten transcription. Transcriptions only of two additional diary volumes (Sept. 1862-March 1863; and prison diary, 1864-1865); 47 original letters (Nov. 1863-Sept. 1866) to Lottie Putnam Adams, most written before their marriage while he was a prisoner of war; 23 original letters from Lottie to Richard, March 1864-Jan. 1865; typescript "Account of Wheeler's Raids" written after the war; "friendship book", March 1865, containing inscriptions by fellow prisoners; 2 photographs of Adams; miscellaneous documents and clippings. Letters reflect ongoing courtship and generally concern personal and family matters; some references to war and prison life. Diaries contain information about camp life, battles, prison life.
- 1862 - 1866
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions
Conditions Governing Use
Manuscript collections in the VMI Archives are made available for educational and research use. The VMI Archives should be cited as the source. The user assumes all responsibility for identifying and satisfying any copyright holders. Materials from our collections may not be redistributed, published or reproduced without permission from the VMI Archives. Contact the VMI Archives for additional information.
0.25 cubic feet (ca, 80 items)
Biographical / Historical
Richard H. Adams, Jr. b. 1841 at "Altwood", Marengo County, Alabama; served as officer during Civil War with 5th Alabama Infantry Regiment and in Engineer Corps on General Wheeler's staff, captured near Nashville; prisoner of war Sept. 1863-June 1865, one of "immortal 600"; engineer after war; d. 1896 at Radford, Virginia.
Major portions of this collections have been digitized and are available online.
- Confederate States of America -- Army -- Alabama Infantry Regiment, 5th
- Confederate States of America -- Army -- Cavalry -- History
- Fair Oaks (Henrico County, Va.), Battle of, 1862
- Fort Delaware (Del.)
- Johnson Island Prison
- Marengo County (Ala.) -- History
- Morris Island (S.C.)
- Peninsular Campaign (1862)
- Point Lookout Prison Camp for Confederates.
- Prisoners of war
- Soldiers -- Alabama -- Correspondence
- Soldiers -- Alabama -- Diaries
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Prisoners and prisons
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Women
- Virginia -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives, Confederate
- Wheeler's Cavalry Corps (C.S.A.)
- Women -- Confederate States of America
- Adams, Richard H. (Richard Henry), 1841-1896 (Person)
- Adams, Lottie P. (Lottie Putnam) (Person)
Part of the Virginia Military Institute Archives Repository
Lexington VA 24450
Lexington VA 24450