John E. Townes Collection
The collection consists of photograph albums, diplomas, and miscellaneous papers documenting the life of John Edward Townes. The photos depict both his VMI cadetship and his subsequent career in the U. S. Army Coast Artillery Corps (1908-1920) and at VMI as a faculty member (1921-1956). During World War I he served in France with the American Expeditionary Force (AEF).
- 1905 - 1960
- Townes, John E., 1886-1970 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions
Conditions Governing Use
Manuscript collections in the VMI Archives are made available for educational and research use. The VMI Archives should be cited as the source. The user assumes all responsibility for identifying and satisfying any copyright holders. Materials from our collections may not be redistributed, published or reproduced without permission from the VMI Archives. Contact the VMI Archives for additional information.
1 cubic feet
Biographical / Historical
John E. Townes, graduate of the Virginia Military Institute Class of 1907 and a History professor at VMI for 35 years.
Manuscripts Stacks; and Oversized case 2
- Artillery, Coast
- Photograph albums
- Virginia Military Institute -- Alumni -- Biography
- Virginia Military Institute -- Athletics
- Virginia Military Institute -- Cadet life -- 1900-1909
- Virginia Military Institute -- Class of 1907
- Virginia Military Institute -- Faculty
- Virginia Military Institute -- Faculty -- Papers
- Virginia Military Institute -- Photographs
- Virginia Military Institute. Department of History