Andrew C.L. Gatewood Papers
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Biographical / Historical
Andrew Cameron Lewis Gatewood was born at Mountain Grove, Bath County, Virginia, on June 30, 1843, the son of Samuel Vance Gatewood (1810-1861) and Eugenia Sophia Massie (1819-1884). Gatewood entered the Virginia Military Institute at Lexington, Virginia in July 1860, where he served as a cadet until the outbreak of the Civil War in April 1861. On April 16, 1861, he accompanied the Corps of Cadets to Richmond, Virginia, where he served as a drillmaster to new Confederate recruits; he subsequently served in the same capacity under General Robert S. Garnett at Laurel Hill, Barbour Co., West Virginia. He joined the 11th Virginia Cavalry Regiment in March 1862 and was elected 2nd Lieutenant, "F" Company (Bath Squadron); he served in this unit until the end of the war.
At the close of the Civil War, Gatewood returned to Bath County. His father had died suddenly in 1861, without leaving a will, and as the oldest son Andrew took on responsibility for his family's affairs. He married his childhood sweetheart, Mary Skillern Warwick (1845-1922) in 1869. The couple moved to Big Spring, Pocahontas Co., West Virginia in 1877, where Gatewood spent the remainder of his life working as a farmer and stock raiser. Mary and Andrew Gatewood had 7 children: William Beale; Eugene Samuel; Massie Cameron; Andrew Warwick; Mary Preston; Eliza Pleasants, and one child who died in infancy. Andrew C. L. Gatewood died July 31, 1919, at Pocahontas Co.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of John M. Dunlap.
- Account Books
- Bull Run, 2nd Battle of (Virginia : 1862)
- Confederate States of America -- Army -- Virginia Cavalry Regiment, 11th
- Lexington (Va.) -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- Soldiers -- Confederate States of America -- Correspondence
- Soldiers -- Virginia -- Correspondence
- Virginia Military Institute -- Cadet life -- 1860-1869
- Virginia Military Institute -- Cadet life -- 1861-1865
- Virginia Military Institute -- Class of 1864
- Virginia Military Institute -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- A Guide to the Andrew C.L. Gatewood Papers, 1860-1864
- VMI Archives Staff, April 1979; revised April 2000
- © 2000 Virginia Military Institute Archives
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Description is in English