Claudius Crozet Papers
The bulk of the material is in French and chronicles Crozet's early years in France prior to his move to the United States in 1816. Included are letters and military orders; discourses on linguistics and grammar; papers pertaining to his marriage and family, and mementos relating to his daughter, Adele, who died in 1830.
In addition, the collection contains two letters from Thomas Jefferson to Crozet, both dated 1821. The letter of March 31 is Jefferson's reply to Crozet's inquiry about a teaching position at the University of Virginia; the letter of November 23 acknowledges the receipt of Crozet's book and includes comments on scientific advancements.
- Crozet, Claudius, 1790-1864 (Person)
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
Researchers must use copies of the Thomas Jefferson letters. The originals are not released for handling.
This collection is made available for educational and research use and may be used for non-commercial purposes with appropriate attribution. The VMI Archives must be cited as the source of the content in publication. Contact the VMI Archives for additional information.
Biographical / Historical
Crozet accepted an appointment as a professor of engineering at the United States Military Academy at West Point, where he taught until 1823 and published A Treatise of Descriptive Geometry for the Use of the Cadets of the United States Military Academy.
Subsequent to his career at West Point, he served as the State Engineer of Virginia (1823-1832), State Engineer of Louisiana (1832-1834), President of Jefferson College, Louisiana (1834-1836), President of the Virginia Military Institute Board of Visitors (1837-1845), Principal Engineer of Virginia (1837-1843), and as Principal of the Richmond Academy (1845-1849). In 1849 he was appointed Chief Engineer on a project to build a tunnel through the Blue Ridge, and from 1857-1859 he worked on constructing an aqueduct for Washington, DC. Crozet died in Richmond, Virginia on January 29, 1864.
- A Guide to the Claudius Crozet Papers,1792-1832
- © 2001 By Virginia Military Institute
- Language of description
- Description is in English
- finding aid revision date not supplied: <change><date normal="2004-02-16">Feb 16, 2004</date><item>PUBLIC "-//Virginia Military Institute::PrestonLibrary::Archives//TEXT (US::ViLxV::vilxv00004::A Guide tothe Claudius Crozet Papers)//EN" "vilxv00004.xml" convertedfrom EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02.xsl (sy2003-10-15).</item></change><change><date normal="2004-02-26">Feb 26, 2004</date><item>converted to conform to eadVIVA.dtd byvivastrict.xsl</item></change>