William D. Stuart Papers
The bulk of the collection consists of the Civil War papers (ca. 60 items), 1861-1863, of Colonel William Dabney Stuart. The papers contain correspondence to and from various Confederate Army officers; morning and guard reports; military orders; and invoices and receipts documenting his brief service with the 15th Virginia Infantry Regiment and his command of the 56th Virginia Infantry Regiment. Miscellaneous other items include letters of recommendation for a United States Army Commission, 1850; a letter from Gabriel Jordan, Jr. (VMI Class of 1850) to Stuart, dated November 1854; and misc. printed materials.
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
60 items (ca. 60 items in one box)
Biographical / Historical
The papers are arranged by document type and chronologically thereunder.
The William D. Stuart papers were originally in the possession of Stuart's widow, and were passed down through the family before being donated to VMI.
- Baldwin, Briscoe G. (Briscoe Gerard), 1828-1898
- Confederate States of America -- Army -- Virginia Infantry Regiment, 56th
- Confederate States of America -- Army -- Virginia Infantry Regiment, 15th
- Cosby, George B. (George Blake, 1831-1909)
- Marshall, Humphrey, 1812-1872
- Slaughter, Philip P. (Philip Peyton), 1834-1893
- Soldiers -- Confederate States of America -- Correspondence
- Soldiers -- Virginia
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- Virginia Military Institute -- Class of 1850