Leonard T. Gerow Papers
Collection — Box: 1
The collection consists of documents and photographs (ca. 120 items) from the military career of U.S. Army General Leonard Townsend Gerow (b. 1888 d.1972). It includes correspondence with General Dwight D. Eisenhower,autobiographical material, speeches (1945-1948), and photographs. Material complementary to this collection is located in his student/alumni file, also located in the VMI Archives.
- 1911 - 1970
- Gerow, Leonard Townsend, 1888-1972 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Manuscript collections in the VMI Archives are made available for educational and research use. The VMI Archives should be cited as the source. The user assumes all responsibility for identifying and satisfying any copyright holders. Materials from our collections may not be redistributed, published or reproduced without permission from the VMI Archives. Contact the VMI Archives for additional information.
0.50 cubic feet : approximately 120 items
Biographical / Historical
- 1888 Jul 13 Born Petersburg, Virginia. Parents: Leonard Rogers Gerow and Annie Eloise Saunders.
- 1911 Graduated from Virginia Military Institute, Lexington, Virginia. Commissioned 2nd Lieut., United States Army.
- 1911-1918 Served with 19th Infantry and subsequently 37th and 57th Infantry. Stationed in Kansas, South Dakota, Texas, and Vera Cruz, Mexico.
- 1918 Apr - 1919 Oct. Signal Corps officer, AEF, France. Officer in Charge of Purchasing and Disbursing.
- 1919-1921 Commanding officer, Signal Corps School, Ft. Sam Houston, Texas
- 1921-1941 Dec Served successively in Washington DC, the Phillippines, China and Washington DC. During this period he was graduated from the Advanced Course, Infantry School, Ft. Benning (1925); the Command and General Staff School (1926) and the Army War College (1931).
- 1941 Dec - 1942 Feb Named Chief of War Plans Division and Assistant Chief of Staff.
- 1942 Feb Named commander of the 29th Infantry Division, Ft. George Meade, Maryland.
- 1942 Oct 29th Division to England.
- 1943 Jul Named Commanding General, Fifth (V) Corps.
- 1945 Jan 15 Assumed command of the Fifteenth Army, European Theater.
- 1945 Oct Returned to the United States and was assigned as Commandant of the Command and General Staff School, Ft. Leavenworth, Kansas.
- 1948 Jan Assumed command of the Second Army, with headquarters at Fort George Meade, Maryland.
- 1950 Jul 31 Retired as Lt. General
- 1954 Jul By Act of Congress, Appointed General (4 star).
- 1972 Oct 12 Died at age 84, Ft. Lee Army Hospital, Petersburg, VA.
Manuscripts Stacks; and Oversized case 2
- Eisenhower, Dwight D. (Dwight David), 1890-1969
- Generals -- United States -- Biography
- Military records
- United States -- Army -- Officers -- Biography
- Virginia Military Institute -- Alumni -- Biography
- Virginia Military Institute -- Class of 1911
- World War (1939-1945)
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Europe
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Correspondence
- A Guide to the Leonard T. Gerow Papers