Francis M. Boykin Civil War Papers
The collection consists Civil War papers (8 items, all dated 1861), including two commission documents, extracts from orders, a letter from Governor John Letcher ordering Boykin to proceed to Grafton and communicate with Col. Thomas J. Jackson (Stonewall), one letter bearing the signature of Gen. Robert E. Lee.
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Manuscript collections in the VMI Archives are made available for educational and research use. The VMI Archives should be cited as the source. The user assumes all responsibility for identifying and satisfying any copyright holders. Materials from our collections may not be redistributed, published or reproduced without permission from the VMI Archives. Contact the VMI Archives for additional information.
Biographical / Historical
Francis Marshall Boykin was born in Isle of Wight County, Virginia on March 1, 1837. His ancestors fought in the Revolutionary War and the War of 1812, and his father, General Francis Boykin, was a member of the Virginia Senate. Boykin entered the Virginia Military Institute in July 1853 and graduated in 1856. He engaged in teaching until 1861. During the Civil War, he served as a Lt. Colonel in the 31st Virginia Infantry Regiment. Boykin served throughout the war and was briefly imprisoned at Johnson's Island. After the war, he was in the tobacco business in Richmond, Virginia. Boykin married Ellen B. George, and they had three children (Hamilton, Anna, Ellen). He died on May 5, 1906 in Richmond.
- Confederate States of America -- Army -- Virginia Infantry Regiment, 31st
- Soldiers -- Confederate States of America -- Correspondence
- Soldiers -- Virginia -- Correspondence
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives, Confederate
- Virginia -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- Virginia -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives
- Virginia Military Institute -- Alumni -- Biography
- Virginia Military Institute -- Class of 1856
- A Guide to the Francis M. Boykin Papers, 1861
- © 2002 Virginia Military Institute Archives
- Language of description
- Description is in English
- finding aid revision date not supplied: Feb 16, 2004. PUBLIC "-//Virginia Military Institute::Preston Library::Archives//TEXT (US::ViLxV::vilxv00013::A Guide to the Francis M. Boykin Papers)//EN" "vilxv00013.xml"converted from EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02.xsl (sy2003-10-15). Feb 26, 2004 converted to conform to eadVIVA.dtd by vivastrict.xsl