Lemuel C. Shepherd, Jr. Papers
The Lemuel C. Shepherd Papers consist primarily of unpublished memoirs and accompanying documents; photograph albums and scrapbooks dating from Shepherd's years as a VMI cadet, as Commandant of the Marine Corps, and from his service as President of the Inter-American Defense Board; an interview with General Shepherd conducted by the archivist of the MacArthur Library regarding Shepherd's role during the Korean War - assault at Inchon; miscellaneous correspondence; clippings; certificates and resolutions; and printed material. The unpublished memoirs include detailed information about Shepherd's early USMC career and his participation in World War I. They include copies of his World War I diary and personal correspondence.
- 1913 - 1990
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Manuscript collections in the VMI Archives are made available for educational and research use. The VMI Archives should be cited as the source. The user assumes all responsibility for identifying and satisfying any copyright holders. Materials from our collections may not be redistributed, published or reproduced without permission from the VMI Archives. Contact the VMI Archives for additional information.
6 cubic feet
Biographical / Historical
Lemuel C. Shepherd Jr. (1896 – 1990), United States Marine Corps four-star general, saw distinguished service in World War I, World War II, and the Korean War. He was appointed the 20th Commandant of the Marine Corps in 1952.
- 1896 February 10
- Born in Norfolk, Virginia.
- 1917 May
- Graduated from the Virginia Military Institute. Shepherd, along with many other classmates, were declared graduates a month early, having been called into active duty.
- Served with the 2nd Battalion, 5th Marines, American Expeditionary Forces, France.
- Aide to the Commandant of the Marines Corps; junior White House aide.
- Married Virginia Tunstall Driver. They had four children.
- Served on U. S. Ships, Idaho and Nevada
- Served with the 4th Marines in China.
- Commander, 2nd Battalion, 5th Marines, 1st Marine Brigade, Fleet Marine Force.
- Staff member, Marine Corps School.
- Regimental Commander, 9th Marines, 3rd Marine Division.
- Assistant Division Commander, 1st Marine Division.
- Commanding General, 6th Marine Division.
- Assistant Commandant and Chief of Staff, Marine Corps.
- Commandant, U. S. Marine Corps Schools.
- Commanding General, Fleet Marine Force, Pacific.
- Commandant, USMC
- 1956 January 1
- Retired from Marine Corps.
- 1956 March
- Recalled to active duty
- Chairman, Inter-American Defense Board, 1956-1959
- 1959 October
- Retired from active duty for second time
- 1990 August 6
- Died at his home in La Jolla, California. Buried Arlington National Cemetery.
Existence and Location of Originals
The memoirs and addenda were copied from originals that are no longer extant, according to family sources. The Shepherd family believes that the originals once held by Gen. Shepherd were lost following his death.
- A Guide to the Lemuel C. Shepherd, Jr. Papers, 1913-1970
- © 2002 Virginia Military Institute
- Language of description
- 2015: reviewed
Part of the Virginia Military Institute Archives Repository
Lexington VA 24450
Lexington VA 24450