Clayton G. Coleman Papers
The papers consist of three letters written to Coleman's sister Lucy during the Civil War, and an autograph album containing inscriptions written by his classmates at VMI, the University of Virginia, and the Medical College of Virginia, ca. 1858-61. The letter of September 17, 1862, from Winchester, Virginia, discusses the Battle of Antietam and caring for wounded; November 4, 1862, Winchester, Virginia, discusses hospitals and care of wounded, General George Steuart, movement of Longstreet's Corps, and other troop activity in the area; Feb 25, 1863 is largely personal, discussing his mother's death.
- 1858 - 1863
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Manuscript collections in the VMI Archives are made available for educational and research use. The VMI Archives should be cited as the source. The user assumes all responsibility for identifying and satisfying any copyright holders. Materials from our collections may not be redistributed, published or reproduced without permission from the VMI Archives. Contact the VMI Archives for additional information.
Biographical / Historical
Clayton Glanville Coleman, physician, was born at Roxbury, New Kent County, Virginia in 1840. He entered the Virginia Military Institute in July 1856 as a member of the Class of 1859, but did not graduate. After leaving VMI in 1858, he attended the University of Virginia and the Medical College of Virginia, from which he was graduated in March 1861. He served as Lt. Col., 23rd Virginia Infantry Regiment(1861-1862) and after September 1862 as a physician in the Confederate Medical Department. After the war, he continued the practice of medicine until 1871, when he became a Civil Engineer. He married Anna Sherrard Breedin, daughter of Enoch C. and Lucy Singleton Breedin, of Winchester Virginia. They had four children: Sherrard , Robert, Lucy, and Caroline. Clayton Coleman died October 7, 1908, in Little Rock, Arkansas.
The Civil War letters are available online
- Antietam, Battle of, Md., 1862
- Autograph albums
- Confederate States of America -- Army -- Medical Dept
- Confederate States of America -- Army -- Virginia Infantry Regiment, 23rd
- Physicians -- Confederate States of America -- Correspondence
- Soldiers -- Virginia -- Correspondence
- Steuart, George H. (George Hume), 1828-1903
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Medical care
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives, Confederate
- University of Virginia -- Students
- Virginia -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives, Confederate
- Virginia Military Institute -- Cadet life -- 1850-1859
- Virginia Military Institute -- Class of 1859
- Winchester (Va.) -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- A Guide to the Clayton G. Coleman Papers, 1858-1863
- © 2002 Virginia Military Institute Archives
- Language of description
- Description is in English
- 2008: Feb 16, 2004 converted from EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02.xsl (sy2003-10-15). Feb 26, 2004 converted to conform to eadVIVA.dtd by vivastrict.xsl