Samuel S. Brooke Papers
The papers consist of five letters, 1862-1864, to and from family members, largely concerned with personal family matters, but with some references to the war and civilian life in Fredericksburg and Richmond, Virginia. Other topics include the 47th Virginia Infantry Regiment, including comments about camp life. In addition to the correspondence, the papers contain commissions, orders, certificates, and miscellaneous official documents dating from Brooke's Civil War service and later life.
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Manuscript collections in the VMI Archives are made available for educational and research use. The VMI Archives should be cited as the source. The user assumes all responsibility for identifying and satisfying any copyright holders. Materials from our collections may not be redistributed, published or reproduced without permission from the VMI Archives. Contact the VMI Archives for additional information.
Biographical / Historical
Samuel Selden Brooke was born on November 10, 1841 in Stafford County, Virginia, the son of Samuel Selden Brooke, Sr. and Angelina Edrington. Brooke enrolled at the Virginia Military Institute in July 1857 and was a cadet for one year. He subsequently attended the University of Virginia, and in April 1861 he joined the Confederate Army. In May 1861 he was commissioned 2nd Lieutenant, Company I, 47th Virginia Infantry Regiment; in May 1862 he was promoted to Captain. He served with this unit until the end of the Civil War. After the war, Brooke resided in Fredericksburg, Virginia, where he studied law and opened a practice. In 1882 he moved to Roanoke, VA,where he was a newspaper editor and Clerk of Court. He married Bettie Lewis Young in 1872; they had 6 children (Samuel,Henry, Edgar, Vena, Sarah, and Cary). Brooke died January 10,1918 in Roanoke.
- Brooke Family
- Confederate States of America -- Army -- Virginia Infantry Regiment, 47th
- Fredericksburg (Va.) -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- Soldiers -- Confederate States of America -- Correspondence
- Soldiers -- Virginia -- Correspondence
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Home life
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Women
- Virginia -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- Virginia Military Institute -- Class of 1861
- A Guide to the Samuel S. Brooke Papers, 1861-1917
- © 2002 Virginia Military Institute Archives
- Language of description
- Description is in English
- finding aid revision date not supplied: Feb 16, 2004. PUBLIC "-//Virginia Military Institute::PrestonLibrary::Archives//TEXT (US::ViLxV::vilxv00021::A Guide tothe Samuel S. Brooke Papers)//EN" "vilxv00021.xml"converted from EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02.xsl(sy2003-10-15). Feb 26, 2004, converted to conform to eadVIVA.dtd byvivastrict.xsl.