Michael G. Harman Papers
The papers consist of the Civil War letters (6 items; July-October 1861) of Lt. Col. Michael G. Harman, written from Headquarters, Staunton, Virginia, where Harman was Quartermaster. The letters were written primarily to General Henry R. Jackson, headquartered at Monterey. The correspondence concerns supplies of corn, clothing, horses and other items; transportation problems; and other Quartermaster Department problems.
- Harman, Michael G., 1822-1877 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Biographical / Historical
Michael G. Harman was born in Augusta County, Virginia, in 1823. Prior to the Civil War he operated a stagecoach line and was the proprietor of a hotel. During the war years, he served as Confederate Quartermaster in Staunton, Virginia from April 1861 until January 1862; he was elected Lieutenant Colonel of the 52nd Virginia Infantry Regiment on August 19, 1861 and served in a dual capacity until resigning his commission as Quartermaster on January 8, 1862; he was elected Colonel of 52nd Virginia in May 1862; was wounded; resigned from the Army in June 1863 due to disability; and served as Quartermaster in Staunton until end of war. After 1865 he continued to operate his stage line, hotel and other businesses. He was member of the Virginia Military Institute Board of Visitors, 1865-1866. Harman died in 1877 and is buried in Thornrose Cemetery, Staunton, Virginia.
The papers are arranged in chronological order.
- Augusta County (Va.) -- History
- Confederate States of America -- Army -- Supplies and stores
- Confederate States of America -- Army -- Virginia Infantry Regiment, 52nd
- Jackson, Henry R.
- Military records
- Staunton (Va.) -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- Virginia -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- A Guide to the Michael G. Harman Papers, 1861
- © 2002 Virginia Military Institute Archives
- Language of description
- Description is in English
- finding aid revision date not supplied: Feb 16, 2004. PUBLIC "-//Virginia Military Institute::Preston Library::Archives//TEXT (US::ViLxV::vilxv00025::A Guide to the Michael G. Harman Papers)//EN" "vilxv00025.xml" converted from EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02.xsl (sy2003-10-15). Feb 26, 2004 converted to conform to eadVIVA.dtd by vivastrict.xsl