Morgan Family Civil War Papers
The collection consists of twelve items. Included are letters (8 items), 1862-1864, addressed to Cadet Patrick H. Morgan. Those from his father (James B. Morgan of Currituck,Co. NC) contain news of Civil War civilian & home life Currituck Co., North Carolina, 1863-1864. Specific topics include enemy raids for food and supplies, diptheria, an uncle's death in battle, and the hardships of war. Other letters are from family friends and cousin John B. Wiginton. Also included are Cadet Morgan's written excuses (4 items) to the VMI Commandant for various infractions, April - May 1863.
- 1862 - 1864
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Manuscript collections in the VMI Archives are made available for educational and research use. The VMI Archives should be cited as the source. The user assumes all responsibility for identifying and satisfying any copyright holders. Materials from our collections may not be redistributed, published or reproduced without permission from the VMI Archives. Contact the VMI Archives for additional information.
Biographical / Historical
During the Civil War, the family of Joseph B. and Annie Lamb Morgan resided in Currituck County, North Carolina. One of the Morgan sons, Patrick Henry (b. 1844 d. 1917), was a cadet at the Virginia Military Institute from 1862-1864. During his cadetship, he took part in the Battle of New Market on May 15, 1864. After the war, Patrick studied law, but did not practice. He then engaged in business and was a state senator in the North Carolina legislature. He was subsequently a district supervisor of the United States Life Saving Service (now the U. S. Coast Guard). Patrick Henry Morgan died in Shawboro, NC on August 27, 1917.
The items are arranged chronologically.
- Currituck County (N.C.) -- History
- New Market Cadets
- North Carolina -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Home life
- Virginia Military Institute -- Cadet life -- 1860-1869
- Virginia Military Institute -- Cadet life -- 1861-1865
- Virginia Military Institute -- Class of 1866
- A Guide to the Morgan Family Papers, 1862-1864
- Diane B. Jacob
- © 2002 Virginia Military Institute Archives
- Language of description
- Description is in English
- finding aid revision date not supplied: Feb 16, 2004. PUBLIC "-//Virginia Military Institute::Preston Library::Archives//TEXT (US::ViLxV::vilxv00027::A Guide to the Morgan Family Papers)//EN" "vilxv00027.xml" converted from EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02.xsl (sy2003-10-15). Feb 26, 2004. converted to conform to eadVIVA.dtd by vivastrict.xsl