George W. Rosenberger Papers
The George W. Rosenberger Papers consist of miscellaneous documents and photographs relating to Rosenberger, his family, and the operation of his cattle breeding operation at the family farm,"Rosendale", located in Rockingham County, Virginia. Included are papers documenting the breeding and sale of cattle, 1854-1870's; Confederate government "tax in kind" assessment documents, 1864; miscellaneous Civil War documents, largely pertaining to Rosenberger's hiring of Abner Canada to serve as his substitute in Confederate Army; one Confederate bond, 1863, (500 dollar denomination); and photographs and albums including images of family members and family property.
- Rosenberger, George W., 1823-1902 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
0.25 cubic feet
Biographical / Historical
George W. Rosenberger was born on February 23, 1823 at "Rosendale", his family's farm in Rockingham County, Virginia. He was one of the pioneers in the breeding of fine stock in Rockingham County, and as early as 1842 began raising improved breeds of cattle, sheep, hogs, and poultry. From 1866 to 1876 he sold full-bred Cotswold sheep and shorthorn cattle.
Rosenberger married Barbara Ann Kagey (b. 1830 d. 1887) on October 16, 1845. The couple had 8 children--William, Jacob, Frances, Florence, Martha, Arthur, Georgia, and Charles. He died on November 9, 1902, in Rockingham County.
- Agriculture -- Virginia -- Shenandoah Valley
- Cattle -- Virginia -- Rockingham County
- Confederate States of America -- Army -- Supplies and stores
- New Market (Va.) -- History -- 19th century
- Rockingham County (Va.) -- History -- 19th century
- Rosenberger Family
- Shenandoah County (Va.) -- History -- 19th century
- Shenandoah River Valley (Va. and W. Va.) -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- A Guide to the George W. Rosenberger Papers, 1854-1884
- Diane B. Jacob
- © 2002 Virginia Military Institute Archives
- Language of description
- Description is in English
- finding aid revision date not supplied: Feb 16, 2004 PUBLIC "-//Virginia Military Institute::Preston Library::Archives//TEXT (US::ViLxV::vilxv00031::A Guide to the George W. Rosenberger Papers)//EN" "vilxv00031.xml"converted from EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02.xsl (sy2003-10-15). Feb 26, 2004 converted to conform to eadVIVA.dtd by vivastrict.xsl