William M. Whittle Papers
The collection consists of the military papers of Captain William M. Whittle, VMI Class of 1917. Whittle served in World War I with the 314th Machine Gun Battalion and was sent to France in May 1918. Included are a notebook containing war service chronology, notes concerning machine gun procedures, and names of officers in his unit; military orders; misc. other documents and printed material; and one photo of Whittle in his Army uniform, circa 1918.
- 1916 - 1919
- Whittle, William M. (Person)
Biographical / Historical
William M. Whittle, Born 1895, Martinsville, VA; graduated VMI 1917; commissioned U. S. Army August 1917 and served in World War I in France from May 1918 to end of war; was living in Roanoke in 1942; no further information.
- Military records
- Orders (military records)
- United States -- Army -- Machine Gun Battalion, 314th -- 1917-1919
- United States. -- Army. -- American Expeditionary Forces
- Virginia Military Institute -- Alumni -- Biography
- Virginia Military Institute -- Class of 1917
- World War (1914-1918)
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Personal narratives, American