Video Collection. Coeducation Court Case (United States v. Virginia) and assimilation of women.
A collection of video footage collected by the Office of Communications and Marketing relating to the VMI coeducation court case (United States v. Virginia), concerning coeducation, assimilation planning, and the matriculation of the first female cadets. Includes news clips from national and local news.
- Majority of material found within 1990-2001
Conditions Governing Use
This collection is available for on-site use only. Researchers should contact the Archives for a viewing appointment.
Biographical / Historical
The U. S. Supreme Court ruled against the Institute's all male admission policy in 1996, and the first women were enrolled at VMI in the fall of 1997.
This collection was originally in VHS videotape format and has been converted to DVD format.
- Bunting, Josiah, III, 1939-
- Sex discrimination in education -- Law and legislation
- United States v. Virginia -- Coeducation Court Case
- Virginia Military Institute -- Cadet Life -- 1990-1999
- Virginia Military Institute -- Class of 2001
- Virginia Military Institute -- Coeducation
- Virginia Military Institute -- History -- 20th century
- Women -- Education -- Law and legislation -- United States.