William J. Black Civil War Diary and VMI Account Book
The collection consists of the one volume diary of Confederate soldier William J. Black. The diary entries date from October 1864 - January 1865, written while Black was serving in Captain John J. Shoemaker's Company, Virginia Horse Artillery. Included are brief accounts of various skirmishes and the Battle of Cedar Creek; campsites and positions are recorded daily. Following the diary entries are copies of two of Shoemaker's reports detailing Battery activities, dated September 1, 1864 (covering the period May - August) and December 25, 1864 (covering the period September - Dec 25). The volume also contains Black's Virginia Military Institute account book, listing expenses incurred while a cadet (1862-1864) prior to joining Confederate Army.
- 1862 - 1865
- Black, William Johnson, 1845-1935 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions
Conditions Governing Use
Manuscript collections in the VMI Archives are made available for educational and research use. The VMI Archives should be cited as the source. The user assumes all responsibility for identifying and satisfying any copyright holders. Materials from our collections may not be redistributed, published or reproduced without permission from the VMI Archives. Contact the VMI Archives for additional information.
Biographical / Historical
William Johnson Black was born at Lynchburg, Virginia on August 2, 1845. He was the son of Allen J. Black and Mary Haythe, both of Campbell County, VA. Black entered the Virginia Military Institute in 1862 and resigned in 1864 to join the Confederate Army. He served in Captain John J. Shoemaker's Battery (Breathed's Battalion, Stuart Horse Artillery). Following the Civil War he was in the express company business in Lynchburg, Virginia. He married Virginia Price on March 5, 1871 and the couple had two children (Charles and E. Stockton). Black died at the Confederate Soldiers' Home in Richmond, Virginia on January 24, 1935.
- Account Books
- Cedar Creek (Va.), Battle of, 1864
- Confederate States of America -- Army -- Virginia Artillery. Shoemaker's Battery
- Shenandoah Valley Campaign, 1864 (August-November) -- Personal narratives
- Shenandoah Valley Campaign, 1864 (May-August) -- Personal narratives
- Shoemaker, John J.
- Soldiers -- Virginia -- Diaries
- Virginia -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives, Confederate
- Virginia Military Institute -- Cadet life -- 1860-1869
- Virginia Military Institute -- Cadet life -- 1861-1865
- Virginia Military Institute -- Class of 1867