Showing Collections: 1 - 7 of 7
Scope and Contents This small collection consists of miscellaneous personal papers found in the Kilbourne family home in 2016. It includes a file of correspondence and memoranda (1898-1937) dating from his career in the U. S. Army, primarily letters of recommendation; photographs; scrapbooks; newspaper clippings; and misc. subject files. Includes material relating to Gen. Kilbourne's long association with the Philippines....
Scope and Contents One certificate presented to VMI Cadet H. Franklin Phillips in May 1943. This "three year testimonial" was presented to each member of the Class of 1944, in lieu of a diploma, when the class members were called to active duty in May 1943. It states that Phillips successfully completed three years at VMI and was signed by VMI Superintendent Charles E. Kilbourne and others.
Scope and Contents The Jennings C. Wise Papers consist primarily of incoming and outgoing correspondence from the period 1910-1960. Included are letters dating from his years as Professor and Commandant of Cadets at VMI, from his practice of law, and from his retirement period in which he devoted himself primarily to writing. Wise was passionately interested in the history and future development of VMI and much of the correspondence reflects his ongoing involvement with the school. He often held controversial...
Identifier: RG-02-Subject Files-Administrative
Scope and Contents Historically significant subject files spanning the administrations of multiple Superintendents. These topical files cover various historical eras; topics include areas such as planning, programs, and events.
Identifier: RG-02-Subject Files-Board of Visitors
Scope and Contents These records consist of one chronological file, 1909-1953, primarily containing Superintendent's working reports and memoranda to the Board of Visitors; some annotations. In addition, there are Superintendent's copies of BOV meeting packets for Gen. Shell and Irby; some with annotations.
Identifier: RG-02-Subject Files-Inaugurations
Scope and Contents Records relating to the inaugural ceremonies or assumption of command events for the various Superintendents. In recent administations there have not been elaborate inaugural ceremonies.
Scope and Contents Records of the administration of VMI Superintendent Charles E. Kilbourne. Includes correspondence, biographical information, speeches and related Institute official records, 1937-1946. These records cover the World War II era at VMI.
- Names: Kilbourne, Charles E. (Charles Evans), 1872-1963 X
- 1 College presidents -- Inauguration
- 1 Diplomas
- 1 Generals -- United States
- 1 Philippines -- Corregidor Island
- 1 Philippines -- History -- 1898-1946
- 1 United States -- Army -- Officers
- 1 United States. -- Army. -- Division of the Philippines
- 2 Virginia Military Institute -- Administration
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- Alumni -- Publications
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- Biography
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- Board of Visitors
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- Cadet life -- 1940-1949
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- Class of 1894
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- Class of 1902
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- Class of 1944
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- Faculty -- Papers
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- Finals -- 20th century
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- History
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- History -- 20th century
- 2 Virginia Military Institute -- History -- World War, 1939-1945
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- Special Events ∧ less