Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 11
Scope and Contents The collection consists Civil War papers (8 items, all dated 1861), including two commission documents, extracts from orders, a letter from Governor John Letcher ordering Boykin to proceed to Grafton and communicate with Col. Thomas J. Jackson (Stonewall), one letter bearing the signature of Gen. Robert E. Lee.
Scope and Contents A collection of manuscripts, 9 items, principally autograph letters of Civil War notables dating 1858-1906. The collection was compiled by Harry L. Wilson, Jr. and donated to the Virginia Military Institute Archives. Items include a dispatch, 1862 April 28, from Stonewall Jackson to Gen. Ewell, requesting Ewell's presence. Other signed documents are in the hand of Robert E. Lee (1858), James Longstreet (1893), Jeb Stuart (1863), Mrs. Jeb Stuart (1886), Wade Hampton (1889), and John Mosby...
Scope and Contents The John E. Roller Papers consist of personal incoming and outgoing correspondence, 1862-1870, including Civil War era letters from cadet friends concerning life at VMI; Civil War dispatches and telegrams (1864), dating from his service with the Confederate States Engineers, including one document signed by General Robert E. Lee; scrapbook, ca. 1910, containing clippings about Civil War battles, veterans, unit reunions, monument...
Scope and Contents Miscellaneous personal papers (5 items) of Cadet John L. Tunstall. Includes one letter from Cadet Tunstall to his mother, in which he describes the cermonies marking the second anniversary of the Battle of New Market (including the reinterment of 5 of the cadets killed at New Market), recalls the horror of the war, and mentions visit of Robert E. Lee to Stonewall Jackson's gravesite; 2 notebooks containing VMI Class notes (Engineering); one photograph album containing ca. 33 images of...
Scope and Contents The papers consist of 14 letters written by VMI Cadet John Sims (Class of 1871), to members of his family. Dated 1868-1871, the correspondence provides rich details of cadet life during that era, as well as containing personal news. Sims mentions many leisure activities --a traveling theater troupe, baseball vs. Washington and Lee University Lee, debating societies, ice skating--as well commenting on academic life and routine events. The letter dated October 17, 1870 mentions viewing the body...
Scope and Contents Letter (June 19, 1861) from Maurice Langhorne of Lynchburg to Gov. John Letcher, requesting that William R. Musser be released from military duty in order to conduct essential war service in Lynchburg. Langhorne states that Musser is active in supplying the troops and is also a skilled mechanic. The document is endorsed on the verso by several officers, including General Robert E. Lee. Lee declined the request.
Scope and Contents The collection consists of two items. One letter of recommendation (ALS, July 7, 1866) written by General Robert E. Lee on behalf of General Colston. One volume, ca. 100 pages"Report on the Northern and Central Kordofan" (Cairo: printing Office of the General Staff, 1878); attached to this book are photographs of Colston wearing his Egyptian Army uniform, ca. 1878, and of Major H. G. Prout, Col. Egyptian Army; and miscellaneous other reports, 1878-1876.
Scope and Contents Bulk consists of miscellaneous papers of Robert E. Lee and Mary Curtis Lee, including documents bearing their signatures. Also, one letter (1926) from Mrs. William A. Anderson to Sydney B. Williamson relating the history of a quilt made by Mrs. Lee that was donated to the VMI Museum.In addition, there is one letter from Henry Lee III (Light Horse Harry), the father of Robert E. Lee, dated July 7, 1779. ...
Scope and Contents The collection consists of 30 original military maps owned by Robert E. Lee. The bulk (28 items) were used by Lee in Mexico, 1846-1848, when he was serving as a Captain in the U.S. Army Engineers Corps. Two of the maps were drawn by Lee and bear his signature. These maps comprise one of the most comprehensive cartographic resources for the study of the Mexican War. In addition to the Mexican War material, the collection contains two Crimean War era maps - Sevastopol and Kronstadt -...
Scope and Contents Nineteenth century engravings and lithographs depicting Generals Stonewall Jackson and Robert E. Lee. These were among the many prints that depicted significant figures of the Confederacy and were a popular fixture in many post-Civil War homes in the South.
- Names: Lee, Robert E. (Robert Edward), 1807-1870 X
- 1 Africa -- Description and travel -- 19th century
- 1 American Confederate voluntary exiles -- Egypt
- 1 Americans -- Egypt -- History -- 19th century
- 1 Baseball
- 1 Confederate States of America -- Army -- Corps of Engineers
- 1 Confederate States of America -- Army -- Virginia Infantry Regiment, 31st
- 1 Correspondence
- 1 Egypt -- Armed Forces -- History -- 19th century
- 1 Egypt -- History -- 1798-
- 1 Engravings (prints)
- 1 Floods -- Virginia -- Rockbridge County
- 1 Generals -- Confederate States of America
- 1 Lexington (Va.) -- History
- 1 Lithographs
- 1 Lynchburg (Va.) -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- 1 Maps
- 1 Mexican War, 1846-1848
- 1 Mexican War, 1846-1848 -- Maps
- 1 Military maps
- 1 New Market (Va.), Battle of, 1864
- 1 New Market (Va.), Battle of, 1864 -- Anniversaries, etc
- 2 New Market Cadets
- 1 Notebooks
- 1 Rockbridge County (Va.) -- History
- 1 Soldiers -- Confederate States of America -- Correspondence
- 1 Soldiers -- Virginia -- Correspondence
- 1 United States -- Army -- History -- Mexican War, 1846-1848
- 1 United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- 1 United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives, Confederate
- 1 United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Pictorial works
- 2 Virginia -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- 1 Virginia -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- Alumni -- Biography
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- Cadet debating societies
- 3 Virginia Military Institute -- Cadet life -- 1860-1869
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- Cadet life -- 1861-1865
- 2 Virginia Military Institute -- Cadet life -- 1870-1879
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- Class of 1846
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- Class of 1856
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- Class of 1863
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- Class of 1867
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- Class of 1871
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- Class of 1872
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- Curricula
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- History -- 19th century
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- 1 Washington and Lee University -- History ∧ less