Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 19
Scope and Contents Two letters from Washington College student Alexander S. Brown to his sister, dated 1846 September 20 and 1848 September 7. The 1848 letter mentions the Cincinnati military class, in which Washington College students participated in military training conducted by VMI staff. he second letter expresses his dissatisfaction with the College and a desire to transfer to another school.
Scope and Contents The bulk of the papers consist of 28 letters written by Gatewood to his parents and other family members, 1860-1864.Early letters describe life at the Virginia Military Institute (hazing, daily routine, excitement about secession, cadets as drillmasters) and in Lexington, Virginia, just prior to and during early months of the Civil War. Subsequent letters date from his service with the 11th Virginia Cavalry Regiment,Company F, (Bath Squadron), including a letter written after the second Battle...
Scope and Contents A collection (1845-1928; bulk dated 1860-1865) of correspondence, photographs, and miscellaneous documents of R. Henry Campbell and members of the Varner family of Lexington, Rockbridge County, Virginia. Includes Civil War letters of soldiers R. Henry Campbell (1861 April-July) and Charles V. Varner (1864, 1865). The letters were written while they were serving with the Rockbridge Rifles (part of the 4th, 5th, and 27th Virginia Infantry regiments at various dates during the war). Significant...
Scope and Contents The collection contains a reward notice distributed after Figgat fled; 10 cancelled checks from local banks, 1870-1871, bearing Figgat's signature; and one petition to the Lexington school trustees endorsing Jacob Fuller for a teaching position, signed by Figgat and other citizens.
Scope and Contents The collection consists of a one volume notebook-diary kept by Virginia Military Institute Cadet Charles T. Haigh in 1862- 1864. The volume provides insight into the life and concerns of a VMI cadet during the Civil War. It primarily contains poetry written by his classmates, as well as poetry by Sara Henderson Smith, the wife of VMI's Superintendent, Francis H. Smith. The diary portion contains sparse entries for the period March-May 1863. Included are occasional references to...
Scope and Contents The papers consist of five letters (1848-1854) written by Giles Gunn, a native of Connecticut, while he was a schoolteacher in Lexington, Rockbridge County, Virginia. The letters, addressed primarily to his sister Mary (living at the Gunn home in Washington, Litchfield County, Connecticut), include discussions of interesting local events as well as references to family. Topics include commencement at the Virginia Military Institute; a detailed description of his school and his methods of...
Scope and Contents J. O. Humphreys served with the 1st Independent Ohio Infantry Regiment during the Civil War. He was mortally wounded at Petersburg.
Scope and Contents One letter (November 24, 1842) from Cadet James Saunders to his cousin John Mitchell. Saunders describes hardships of cadet life, the dullness of Lexington, VMI's 3rd anniversary (Founders Day) celebration, a storm damaging the north wall of Barracks, and mentions Edward C. Carrington, Class of 1844. One of the earliest extant cadet personal letters.
Scope and Contents Hanna's diary contains a colorful account of life at VMI and in Lexington during the spring of 1864. Entries begin April 17, 1864 and end May 9, 1864. On May 10, the cadets were called to active duty at the request of Gen. John C. Breckinridge and on May 15 participated in the Battle of New Market. The entries contain comments about VMI activities and people, Lexington social life, and discussion of personal concerns. This volume was picked up by a Union soldier, probably when Union...
Scope and Contents Ca. 32 items. Letters, 1855-1861, written by Joseph H. Chenoweth to his parents. Letters dating from his cadetship cover topics such as exams, trips, demerits, and provide a good portrait of pre-war cadet life. Letters dated 1860-1861 were written while he was a Professor at Maryland Agricultural College and at VMI; topics include the election of 1860, John T. L. Preston, religion. The collection also contains two VMI grade reports for 1856. Transcriptions of the cadet letters are available on...
- Subject: Lexington (Va.) -- History X
- 1 Atwill, Samuel F. (Samuel Francis), 1846-1864
- 1 Blackburn, Tom, 1834-1854
- 1 Brown, Alexander Stuart
- 1 Campbell family
- 1 Campbell, R. Henry (Robert Henry)
- 1 Carrington, Edward C., Jr. (Edward Codrington)
- 1 Chenoweth, Joseph H. (Joseph Hart), 1837-1862
- 1 Christian, Charles B. (Charles Burks)
- 1 Couper, Wm. (William), b. 1884
- 1 Crozet, Claudius, 1790-1864
- 1 Davis, Thomas D. (Thomas Dixon), 1843-1925
- 1 Edmondson, James K., 1832-1898
- 1 Figgat, Charles M. (Charles Miles), ?-1899
- 1 Gatewood, Andrew C. L. (Andrew Cameron Lewis), 1843-1919
- 1 Gilham, William, 1818-1872
- 1 Gunn, Giles
- 1 Haigh, Charles Thomas, 1845-1864
- 1 Hanna, John F. (John Francis), 1843-1885
- 1 Humphreys, J. O.
- 2 Hunter, David
- 2 Jackson, Stonewall, 1824-1863
- 1 John Milner Associates
- 1 Jordan, John, 1777-1854
- 1 Lee, Robert E. (Robert Edward), 1807-1870
- 1 Marlin, Sidney
- 1 Martin Family
- 1 Martin, Hattie
- 1 Nalle, William
- 1 Richardson, William H. (William Harvie), 1795-1876
- 1 Ruff, John
- 1 Saunders, James D., 1824-1851
- 1 Scofield, Uri B.
- 1 Shriver, Samuel S. (Samuel Sprigg), 1843-1881
- 1 Smith, Edward H. (Edward Harvie), 1845-1912
- 1 Smith, Sara Henderson, 1812-1884
- 1 Taylor, Richard C., 1835-1917
- 1 Varner family
- 1 Varner, Andrew W. (Andrew Wallace), 1831-1910
- 1 Varner, Charles V. (Charles Van Buren), 1838-1907
- 1 Virginia Military Institute. Office of the Deputy Superintendent for Finance, Administration, and Support
- 1 Watson, William G. (William Gerard), 1837-1922 ∧ less