Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 10
Scope and Contents A small collection of miscellaneous Civil War-related documents; largely items with autograph rather than content significance.
Scope and Contents Two Civil War discharge documents issued to Private Horace P. Meader of the 24th Massachusetts Infantry, Company K., U.S. Army, dated 28 Dec. 1863 at St, Augustine, Florida and 20 Jan 1866 at Richmond, Virginia. Two documents, 1921 and 1928, concerning the Civil War pension given to Meader's widow. At the time of his enlistment, Meader was 23 years old, a teamster, living in Boston.
Scope and Contents Four post-Civil War documents, 1866, granting a presidential pardon to former Confederate soldier John Borders of Calhoun, Co., Alabama. The certificates bear names of Secretary of State William Seward, and President Andrew Johnson.
Scope and Contents 7 miscellaneous documents., Items include one miitary dispatch (October 1862) accepting Capt. O'Hara's services; receipts; list of names with addresses. Receipts were labeled "contents of J. C. Breckinridge's purse."
Scope and Contents Document (April 22, ca. 1862), from Headquarters, Valley District; "Pass J. G. Hickman through the pickets to Harrisonburg, VA."
Scope and Contents A collection of approximately 50 miscellaneous unrelated manuscripts (1744-1908; bulk 19th century. The items, primarily autograph letters, were purchased at various times by the Foundation; many date from the Civil War of bear the signatures of Civil War era notables.
Scope and Contents Miscellaneous receipts (20 items) for Chaffin's expenses at VMI, and for various family expenses during the Civil War. Dated Jan.-Dec. 1863.
Scope and Contents Confederate States of America receipt for purchase of $1000 in bonds, issued to Thornton Thomas. The document is dated March 31, 1864, Harrisonburg, Virginia.
Scope and Contents Miscellaneous items (3) pertaining to the life of Confederate soldier William P. Williams. The collection consists of an oath of allegiance document, 1865; a photograph of Williams taken ca. 1880's; and his obituary, 1919.
- Subject: United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Miscellanea X
- 1 Adams, Louisa Catherine, 1775-1852
- 1 Banks, Nathaniel Prentiss, 1816-1894
- 1 Bayly, Thomas M., 1775-1834
- 1 Borders, John
- 1 Breckinridge, John C. (John Cabell), 1821-1875
- 1 Cabell, Mayo
- 1 Chaffin, Richard B. (Richard Booker), 1844-1902
- 1 Dabney, Robert Lewis, 1820-1898
- 1 Douglas, Henry Kyd, 1838-1903
- 1 Forrer, Samuel
- 1 Hancock, Winfield Scott, 1824-1886
- 1 Hickman, Joseph
- 1 Hotchkiss family
- 1 Hunter, R. M. T. (Robert Mercer Taliaferro), 1809-1887
- 1 Johnson, Andrew, 1808-1875
- 1 Johnson, Bradley T. (Bradley Tyler), 1829-1903
- 1 Johnston, Joseph E. (Joseph Eggleston), 1807-1891
- 1 Kemper, James Lawson, 1823-1895
- 1 Key, Francis Scott, 1779-1843
- 1 Lohr, Zirkle
- 1 Meader, Horace P.
- 1 Mosby, John Singleton, 1833-1916
- 1 Noyes, Edward F. (Edward Follansbee), 1832-1890
- 1 Pendleton, Alexander Swift, 1840-1864
- 1 Pope, John, 1822-1892
- 1 Seward, William H. (William Henry), 1801-1872
- 1 Sheridan, Philip Henry, 1831-1888
- 1 Sherman, William T. (William Tecumseh), 1820-1891
- 1 Slidell, John, 1793-1871
- 1 Taylor, Richard, 1826-1879
- 1 Thomas, Thornton
- 1 White, William S. (William Spottswood), 1800-1873
- 1 Williams, William P. (William Patterson), 1834-1919 ∧ less