Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 84
Scope and Contents The papers consist primarily of documents and photographs dating from Kibler's World War II service with the 12th Army Group, European Theater. Included are memoranda to and from Kibler and other senior officers (1943-1945); HQ 12th Army Group Commanding General's briefings (1944-1945); reports, including "Reports of the General Board, United States Forces, European Theater" (G-3 Section); photographs, and organizational charts.
Scope and Contents Papers dating from Britt's army career, 1930-1962. Include correspondence; reports; notes and exercises from courses taken at the British Army Staff College, Camberley; speeches and articles; photographs. One scrapbook dates from cadetship at VMI.
Scope and Contents The papers consist of 9 items documenting the World War I U. S. Army career of Alfred Dickinson Barksdale (VMI Class of 1911). A member of Company L, First Virginia Infantry, National Guard, Barksdale was called to active duty during the World War I. Barksdale served in France with M Company, 116th Infantry, 29th Division, from 1917-1919. Included is a letter from Barksdale to his sister, dated August 20, 1918, written shortly after his arrival in France. He comments on the visit of Gen. John...
Scope and Contents Miscellaneous papers (11 items) of Dr. Alfred P. Upshur, VMI Class of 1904, whose career included service in the Army Medical Corps. The collection consists primarily of commission documents and other certificates, and 2 photographs.
Scope and Contents A collection (13 oversized items) of certificates, diplomas, and misc. items relating the educational history of Allan T. Gwathmey, VMI Class of 1923. Gwathmey was an internationally known scientist specializing in the field of single metal crystals, taught chemistry at the University of Virginia from 1938 until his death in 1963. He was also the founder of the Virginia Institute for Scientific Research.
Scope and Contents Certificate awarding the Purple Heart to Allen R. Potts, VMI Class of 1943. The citation is for wounds received in combat during World War II at Palau, Western Carolines, on 4 October 1944.
Scope and Contents A collection of certificates, citations, commissions and similar associated with VMI alumni, faculty, staff, or the Institute as a whole. The collection does not include VMI diplomas or literary society certificates, which are filed separately.
Scope and Contents Papers (approximately 300 items) of Col. Alvin F. Meyer, Jr., Virginia Military Institute, Class of 1941. Meyer is a civil engineer whose speciality is sanitary engineering. The bulk pertains to Meyer's career with the United States Air Force, 1941-1969, and includes copies of published articles.
Scope and Contents The papers consist of the personal correspondence and miscellaneous records of Ammen L. Burger, Jr., Virginia Military Institute Class of 1938. The bulk of the letters were written to his parents. Included are letters written from VMI during the period 1934-1938 which contain information about cadet life during that period; and letters written during World War II, primarily from stateside training assignments. Burger had a 30 year career with Corps of Engineers in Norfolk, Virginia. He died in...
Scope and Contents The papers contain correspondence, clippings, video and other media, and printed matter relating to Brand's interest the life of Civil Rights activist Jonathan M. Daniels. The papers also include a file on the Cabell Breckinridge Brass Band at VMI; certificates of recognition; and misc. other documents. For additional information about Mr. Brand, consult the book "Some Do Care: Contemporary Lives of Moral Commitment" by Anne Colby and William Damon.
- Subject: Virginia Military Institute -- Alumni -- Biography X
- 1 Addison, William M. (William Marlborough), 1898-1986
- 1 Almond, Edward M. (Edward Mallory), 1892-1979
- 1 Anderson, Marvin J. (Marvin Judson), 1921-1943
- 1 Anjier, Louis J.
- 1 Arnold, Thomas St. John
- 1 Bachtell, Linford B. (Linford Boone), 1921-1982
- 1 Barksdale, Alfred D. (Alfred Dickinson), 1892-1972
- 1 Berry, M. Keith (Marshall Keith), 1899-1985
- 1 Boykin, Francis M. (Francis Marshall), 1837-1906
- 1 Boykin, Maury W. (Maury Wood), 1893-1984
- 1 Brand, E. Cabell
- 1 Britt, Albert S.
- 1 Burger, Ammen L., 1917-1994
- 2 Burress, Withers A. (Withers Alexander), 1894-1977
- 1 Chase, Gilbert P. (Gilbert Paul), 1873-1952
- 1 Clark, Harold P. (Harold Page), 1921-
- 1 Clinedinst, B. West (Benjamin West), 1860-1931
- 1 Conner, Albert Z., 1943-
- 1 Couper, John L. (John Lee), 1916-2000
- 1 Couper, Wm. (William), b. 1884
- 1 Daniels, Jonathan Myrick, 1939-1965
- 1 Douglas, Wallace S., 1901-1982
- 1 Dunbar, William B., 1907-1968
- 1 Earle, Robert A. (Robert August), 1906-1991
- 2 Eisenhower, Dwight D. (Dwight David), 1890-1969
- 1 Ewell, Benjamin S.
- 1 Ferebee, J. Smith (James Smith), 1906-1988
- 1 Finklehoffe, Fred Franklin
- 1 Foresman family
- 1 Foresman, Henry J., 1919-2000
- 1 Foster, Charles E., 1903-1938
- 1 Gatewood, Robert, 1829-1909
- 1 Gatling, Norborne P., Jr.
- 1 Gerow, Lee S. (Lee Saunders), 1891-1982
- 1 Gerow, Leonard Townsend, 1888-1972
- 1 Gibson, Mennis L. (Mennis Lawson), 1899-1973
- 1 Goodwyn Family
- 1 Goodwyn, McGavock R., 1841-1875
- 1 Goodwyn, Philo H., 1805?-1860
- 1 Gray, Elmon T.
- 1 Greene, Frederick Stuart, 1870-1939
- 1 Gwathmey, Allan T. (Allan Talbott), 1903-1963
- 1 Harden, James A. (James Abel), 1841-1927
- 1 Hardin Family
- 1 Hardin, Mark B. (Mark Bernard), 1838-1916
- 1 Harris, Willis O. (Willis Overton), 1847-1911
- 1 Jackson, Stonewall, 1824-1863
- 1 James, John G. (John Garland), 1844-1930
- 1 James, Rorer A. (Rorer Anderson), 1859-1921
- 1 Joyce family
- 1 Kibler, A. Franklin (Abram Franklin), 1891-1955
- 1 King, W. Marshall (William Marshall), 1901-1957
- 1 Lee, Robert E. (Robert Edward), 1807-1870
- 1 Letcher, John, 1813-1884
- 1 Libby family
- 1 Lightfoot, Charles E. (Charles Edward), 1834-1878
- 1 Luke, John M. (John Marvin), 1880-1951
- 1 Major, J. Russell (James Russell), 1921-
- 1 Major, Julian Neville, 1887-1953
- 1 Marshall, Samuel W. (Samuel Wilson), 1905-1988
- 1 McClure, William G., Jr.
- 1 McCuaig, Duncan R., Dr.
- 1 Meyer, Alvin F., Jr., 1920-2006
- 1 Millner, Esther A., 1894-1979
- 1 Millner, Samuel M. (Samuel Morehead), 1891-1985
- 1 Moncure family
- 1 Moncure, Thomas J. (Thomas Jefferson), 1832-1912
- 1 Montague, Ludwell Lee, 1907-1972
- 1 Moss, James B., Jr., 1924-1998
- 1 Neikirk, Joseph D. (Joseph Dillard), 1911-1990
- 1 Oliver, Thomas T. (Thomas Tucker), 1941-1968
- 1 Perkinson, T. Randolph, Jr. (Thomas Randolph), 1895-1973
- 1 Pershing, John J. (John Joseph), 1860-1948
- 1 Phillips, James J. (James Jasper), 1832-1908
- 1 Potts, Allen R.
- 1 Randolph, John H. Jr., 1921-
- 1 Richards, Gates T.
- 1 Roosevelt, Franklin D. (Franklin Delano), 1882-1945
- 1 Ross, Erskine M. (Erskine Mayo), 1845-1928
- 1 Ruffner, David L. (David Lewis), 1896-1973
- 1 Sun, Li Jen, ?-1990
- 1 Talbott, Samuel G. (Samuel Greaner), 1877-1965
- 1 Tice, E. Jackson
- 1 Tidwell, William A.
- 1 Tompkins, George J., Jr.
- 1 Towne, Roger E. (Roger Earl), 1913-1983
- 1 Townes, John E., 1886-1970
- 1 Upshur, Alfred P. (Alfred Parker), 1885-1964
- 1 Upshur, William P. (William Peterkin), 1881-1943
- 1 Virginia Military Institute. Adams Center for Military History
- 1 Virginia Military Institute. Department of History
- 1 Vivian, William R. (William Rhoads), 1911-2009
- 1 Waddill, Edmund C. (Edmund Clivious), 1883-1964
- 1 Westmoreland, William C. (William Childs), 1914-
- 1 Whittle, William M.
- 1 Wills, Waller G. (Waller Garland), 1898-1961
- 1 Wilson Family
- 1 Wilson, Nathaniel C., 1839-1863
- 1 Wise family
- 1 Wise, Henry A. (Henry Alexander), 1874-1968 ∧ less