Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 17
Scope and Contents One letter, 1884, appointing Carl M. Best a cadet at the Virginia Military Institute; and one letter of recommendation, 1886, written for Best by VMI Superintendent Francis H. Smith.
Scope and Contents One document, listing laundry for VMI Cadet Charles Balmer for the period May-August 1882.
Scope and Contents The collection contains miscellaneous items pertaining to Charles R. K. Varner, VMI Class of 1884. Included are three quarterly grade reports (1881, 1884) and one letter of recommendation (1889) written by VMI Superintendent Francis H. Smith; a VMI postcard; miscellaneous dance programs from the early 20th century.
Scope and Contents The collection contains one letter from Cadet Frederick T. Amiss (Class of 1886) to his father, dated December 14, 1884. Amiss describes in detail the confrontation between cadets and Commandant Scott Shipp regarding an investigation into an explosion of the VMI magazine. Also included are three photographs of Amiss, which are all viewable online in the VMI Archives photographs database.
Contents Note VMI account book of Cadet Harry B. Baker, VMI Class of 1889. Contains entries for VMI expenses, 1886-1889.
Scope and Contents Student notebook owned by VMI Cadet John T. B. Cocke, Virginia Military Institute Class of 1890. The volume contains copied poetry, civil engineering class notes, and list of roommate in Room 18 of Barracks, 1889-1890.
Scope and Contents The John L. Cochran Papers consist of a report card (1879) from the secondary school Cochran attended before entering the Virginia Military Institute; one letter (September 4, 1880) from VMI Cadet Cochran to his mother; a diary, with sketches (1881), containing short and sporadic entries made while he was a student at the Virginia Military Institute and concerning various aspects of cadet life; and four volumes of class notes (1882-1885) taken while Cochran was a student at Swarthmore College...
Scope and Contents The Oliver M. Rutledge Papers consist primarily of incoming and outgoing correspondence of Virginia Military Institute Cadet Oliver M. Rutledge for the period 1879-1882. Included are letters received at from parents, siblings and friends. A few letters written by Rutledge contain references to cadet life in the 1880's. The letter of May 14, 1882 to his mother describes the mineral springs resort at Dagger's Springs, Virginia. Additional miscellaneous items include an 1882 VMI graduation...
Scope and Contents One document listing clothing for VMI Cadet Philip H. Lybrook. The letterhead on the document is "A.M. Lybrook, Attorney at Law."
Scope and Contents Miscellaneous papers, approximately 30 items, of Robert E. B. Stewart. The collection includes a notebook containing orations delivered before VMI cadet debating societies; drawings completed as class assignments at VMI; and a few clippings concerning his life after he left the Institute.
- Subject: Virginia Military Institute -- Cadet Life -- 1880-1889 X
- 1 Amiss, Frederick T., 1866-1942
- 1 Baker, Harry B. (Harry Burgwyn), 1869-1947
- 1 Balmer, Charles, 1865-1941
- 1 Best, Carl M. (Carl Mead), 1861-1922
- 1 Cochran, John L. (John Lynn), 1863-1887
- 1 Cocke, John T. B., 1870-1951
- 1 Lybrook, Philip H. (Philip Hardin), 1868-1901
- 1 Moncure, William A. (William Augustus), 1863-1947
- 1 Nottingham, Thomas J. (Thomas Jacob), 1864-1953
- 1 Perry, Sidney R. (Sidney Rawson), 1873-1929
- 1 Rutledge family
- 1 Rutledge, Oliver M. (Oliver Middleton), 1862-1928
- 1 Shipp, Scott, 1839-1917
- 1 Smith, Francis H. (Francis Henney), 1812-1890
- 1 Smith, Sara Henderson, 1812-1884
- 1 Stewart, Robert E. B. (Robert Edward Bruce), 1863-1901
- 1 Terry, Thornton, 1868-1894
- 1 Vance, Paul O. (Paul Otey), 1869-1913
- 1 Varner, Charles R. K., 1862-1915
- 1 Vest, William W. (William Waller), 1871-1918
- 1 Williamson, Henry Watson, 1823-1884 ∧ less