Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 17
Scope and Contents Two scrapbooks, 1896-1900, compiled by Cadet Conway Howard. Contents include VMI memorabilia, clippings, photographs illustrating cadet life, programs and other items pertaining to athletic events. The scrapbooks provide excellent documentation of cadet life for the period.
Scope and Contents 8 letters, 1894-1895, from Cadet Erasmus G. Hinton to his father. Cadet Harley R. Hinton, the writer's twin brother, is frequently mentioned. Other topics include grades, requests for money, personal matters; little focus on VMI activities. One additional letter is dated February 25, 1907.
Scope and Contents Three letters (November 14-15, 1893) pertaining to Cadet Rouss's decision to run away from VMI. Included is a letter from Rouss to his father (Milton Rouss, Class of 1863) in which he explains his actions.
Scope and Contents Personal papers of Henry A. Wise, including general correspondence, family correspondence, subject files, and materials relating to the publication of his book, Drawing Out the Man: The VMI story. Inventory available.
Scope and Contents Four volumes typescript "Memories of the Old VMI", written by Henry P. Fry ca. 1950. Fry describes his life as a cadet from January 1898-June 1901. Particular emphasis is placed on the Class of 1901 and Fry's classmate Cadet George C. Marshall. Collection also includes family photographs, miscellaneous correspondence, misc. other documents.
Scope and Contents Letter (3 pages; Feb. 20, 1894) from Cadet Cocke to his mother. Topics include snowstorm, debating society orations, raiding local hen houses for "rooster fighting" in Barracks. The collection also include his cadet account book, containing a list of VMI expenses for 1891-1895.
Scope and Contents One letter (December 5, 1890) from Cadet Naylor to his father, in which he complains about the character of his roommates and asks to be moved to a different room.
Scope and Contents Student notebook owned by VMI Cadet John T. B. Cocke, Virginia Military Institute Class of 1890. The volume contains copied poetry, civil engineering class notes, and list of roommate in Room 18 of Barracks, 1889-1890.
Scope and Contents VMI and personal account book of John Janney (VMI Class of 1896), of Leesburg, Virginia. Contains entries for cadet expenses, 1893-1896; personal expenses, 1896-1898.
Scope and Contents The papers consist of approximately 25 letters from Virginia Military Institute Cadet John Orr to his parents. The correspondence contains details about cadet life during the early 1890's, including references to daily routines (guard duty, meals, studies); faculty; the town of Lexington; and an extensive account of the fight between two cadets that led to the death of Warner T. Taliaferro, VMI Class of 1894. The collection also contains 2 religious tracts, circa 1890.
- Subject: Virginia Military Institute -- Cadet life -- 1890-1899 X
- 1 Brown, William N. (William Nelson), 1873-1959
- 1 Carter, Spencer L. (Spencer Leslie), 1873-1950
- 1 Cocke, Henry T. (Henry Teller), 1876-1944
- 1 Cocke, John T. B., 1870-1951
- 1 Fry, Henry P. (Henry Peck), 1881-1956
- 1 Hinton, Erasmus G. (Erasmus Gill), 1876-1946
- 1 Hinton, Harley R. (Harley Ross), 1876-1953
- 1 Howard, Conway R. (Conway Robinson), 1881-1936
- 1 Humphreys, William L. (William Leland), 1876?-1923
- 1 Janney, John, 1877-1967
- 1 Marshall, George C. (George Catlett), 1880-1959
- 1 Naylor, John Carson
- 1 Orr, John, 1875-1909
- 1 Perry, Sidney R. (Sidney Rawson), 1873-1929
- 1 Portner, Robert F. (Robert Francis), 1874-1900
- 1 Rouss, George W. (George William), 1876-1937
- 1 Rouss, Milton, 1840-1922
- 1 Talbott, Samuel G. (Samuel Greaner), 1877-1965
- 2 Taliaferro, Warner T. (Warner Throckmorton), 1874-1890
- 1 Weddell, William S. (William Sparrow), 1874-1944
- 1 Wise family
- 1 Wise, Henry A. (Henry Alexander), 1874-1968
- 1 Wise, Henry Alexander, 1906-1982
- 1 Wise, Jennings C. (Jennings Cropper), 1881-1968 ∧ less