Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 14
Scope and Contents One Civil War document, dated November 25, 1862, from Captain Albert H. Pettigrew, then serving as Capt., CSA Scouts, to Gen. Robert E. Lee. Pettigrew requests to have Private Snow of the 1st South Carolina Infantry Regiment transferred to his company.
Scope and Contents The bulk of the papers consist of 28 letters written by Gatewood to his parents and other family members, 1860-1864.Early letters describe life at the Virginia Military Institute (hazing, daily routine, excitement about secession, cadets as drillmasters) and in Lexington, Virginia, just prior to and during early months of the Civil War. Subsequent letters date from his service with the 11th Virginia Cavalry Regiment,Company F, (Bath Squadron), including a letter written after the second Battle...
Scope and Contents The collection consists of the miscellaneous papers of three members of the Barton family who attended the Virginia Military Institute during the mid-19th century. Papers relating to Cadet Charles M. Barton (VMI Class of 1856) include a letter dated September 28, 1855 from Charles to his cousin Joseph M. Barton, in which he complains about VMI life and about his instructor Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson (Jackson is described as a "hell of a fool"). Other Charles Barton material is found in a...
Scope and Contents The bulk of the collection consists of letters written by James Harden to his sister, covering wartime events experienced by his unit as well as his time at Ft. Delaware. Also included is one letter written from VMI in June 1861 and miscellaneous items.
Scope and Contents 13 letters, dated 1860, written by the family and friends of James W. Thomson. The letters were received by Thomson while he was a cadet at the Virginia Military Institute and contain family and personal news. Correspondents include Thomson's mother, grandmother, brother, sister and cousin. One letter, dated September 10, 1861, is from Col. John Pelham who discusses an army appointment for Thomson.
Scope and Contents Eight letters and one letter fragment from Cadet Snodgrass to his sister Kate. All dated 1862 and written from VMI. Primary topic is the war and its effect on his family; occasional references to VMI. Mentions that Corps of Cadets has been ordered to aid General Jackson (see April 19, May 1, May 18); says he is "anxious to get a shot at the enemy."
Scope and Contents Hanna's diary contains a colorful account of life at VMI and in Lexington during the spring of 1864. Entries begin April 17, 1864 and end May 9, 1864. On May 10, the cadets were called to active duty at the request of Gen. John C. Breckinridge and on May 15 participated in the Battle of New Market. The entries contain comments about VMI activities and people, Lexington social life, and discussion of personal concerns. This volume was picked up by a Union soldier, probably when Union...
Scope and Contents The collection consists of two items. One letter (September 2, 1865) from Hempstead to Major DeWitt C. Craun in which he defends the position taken by the South during the Civil War & his own service in the CSA. One manuscript poem"Ode to the 4th Classmen of 1861 who never heard Auld Lang Syne" (undated).
Scope and Contents The Murray F. Taylor account book contains a listing of school expenses incurred while Taylor was a cadet at the Virginia Military Institute, 1860-1861.
Scope and Contents The New Market Collection consists primarily of reminiscences of the Battle of New Market Virginia (May 15, 1864) written by participants and other witnesses between 1894-1915. Written in response to specific inquiries and questionnaires, these memoirs were collected by various groups and individuals, including the VMI Alumni Association, author/historian Edward R. Turner, Henry A. Wise (VMI Class of 1862 and battle veteran) and Benjamin A. Colonna (VMI Class of 1864 and battle veteran). In...
- Subject: Virginia Military Institute -- Class of 1864 X
- 1 Barton Family
- 1 Barton, Bolling W. (Bolling Walter), 1845-1924
- 1 Barton, Charles M. (Charles Marshall), 1836-1862
- 1 Barton, Randolph, 1844-1921
- 1 Blackburn, Tom, 1834-1854
- 1 Colonna, Benjamin A. (Benjamin Azariah), 1843-1924
- 1 Damron, Christopher
- 1 Davis, Thomas D. (Thomas Dixon), 1843-1925
- 1 Galt, William, 1841-1864
- 1 Gatewood, Andrew C. L. (Andrew Cameron Lewis), 1843-1919
- 1 Gilham, William, 1818-1872
- 1 Hanna, John F. (John Francis), 1843-1885
- 1 Harden, James A. (James Abel), 1841-1927
- 1 Hempstead, Junius L. (Junius Lackland), 1842-1920
- 3 Jackson, Stonewall, 1824-1863
- 1 Pelham, John, 1838-1863
- 1 Pettigrew, Albert H. (Albert Harrison), 1840-1891
- 1 Shipp, Scott, 1839-1917
- 1 Shriver, Samuel S. (Samuel Sprigg), 1843-1881
- 1 Smith, Edward H. (Edward Harvie), 1845-1912
- 1 Smith, Francis H. (Francis Henney), 1812-1890
- 1 Snodgrass family
- 1 Snodgrass, John B. (John Breathed), 1843-1908
- 1 Steptoe family
- 1 Stevenson, Maria C.
- 1 Stevenson, Thomas A. (Thomas Andrew), 1841-?
- 1 Taylor, Murray F. (Murray Forbes), 1843-1909
- 1 Thomson family
- 1 Thomson, James W. (James Walton), 1843-1865
- 1 Williamson family
- 1 Williamson, Thomas H. (Thomas Hoomes), 1813-1888
- 1 Williamson, William G. (William Garnett), 1840-1898
- 1 Wise, Henry A. (Henry Alexander), 1842-1918 ∧ less