Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 24
Scope and Contents Letter from Cadet Alfred R. Gibbons to his father, dated December 22, 1863. Discusses Corps being called out on a march in response to Union Army troop movements; misc. aspects of cadet life.
Scope and Contents Keepsake albums, popular in the 19th and early 20th centuries. Five items, including autograph album compiled by VMI New Market Cadet Edward Harvie Smith, Jr. It contains signed inscriptions by 19 fellow New Market Cadets. Other items: Farmer D. Cochran (Class of 1889); Thomas G. Tate (Class of 1877); 1874 Class members (original owner unknown); Class of 1902 autograph page.
Scope and Contents Account book fragment (3 pages) of Cadet Charles B. Hundley, Class of 1867. Contains entries for VMI expenses, 1864-1865.
Scope and Contents One letter (1865 March 28) from Charles W. Turner to Major Garnett Andrews, commander of the 2nd Foreign Battalion. Turner discussions his commission, other soldiers, and asks to be appointed 1st Lieutenant in Andrews' unit.
Scope and Contents One letter (November 26, 1863) from Cadet Edmund Berkeley to his mother. Berkeley has been informed of his sister's death and offers consolation to his mother. He also gives VMI news and complains about the food (early reference to "growley" a VMI slang word used for mess hall food).
Scope and Contents Miscellaneous papers (5 items) of the family of Francis Lee Smith, a prominent lawyer in antebellum Alexandria, VA. Items relating to his son Francis L. Smith, Jr. (VMI Class of 1867/New Market cadet) include oath of allegiance verification, dated May 22, 1865, Amelia Court House, VA; letter with enclosure, 1867, from VMI Treasurer Robert H. Campbell concerning collection of a bill; telegram to Gov. Fitzhugh Lee, 1887. An account book contains a list of cash receipts, for F. L. Smith, Sr.,...
Scope and Contents One letter from Thomas B. Robinson (VMI Class of 1856 and faculty member) recommending Cadet Francis S. Johnson for service in the Confederate Army. The letter is dated March 20, 1865.
Scope and Contents Miscellaneous papers (6 items) of Hardaway H. Dinwiddie, including manuscript of VMI valedictory speech, 1867; "phrenological analysis" 1858; calling card; poems about the New Market Cadets; certificate of withdrawal from Lexington's Masonic Lodge, 1868; and 1867 VMI commencement program.
Scope and Contents Miscellaneous Civil War papers of James Darden, a New Market Cadet who later joined the CSA. Two orders (Feb. 28 and March 21, 1865) signed by Darden; one CSA 5 dollar bill; one list of clothing signed by Darden; bank note, March 9th, 1865. Collection also includes typescript biographical sketch "Record of J. D. Darden."
Scope and Contents The collection consists of one letter from New Market Cadet James E. Witt (Class of 1867), written from VMI HQ at the Alms House in Richmond, VA, dated 1865 February 8. Witt had just resigned his cadetship in order to join the Confederate Army during what turned out to be the last weeks of the war. The letter, addressed to "Dear Miss" [Fannie, last name unknown] is largely personal in nature, involving his relationship with the young woman. However, he does mention the resignation of large...
- Subject: Virginia Military Institute -- Class of 1867 X
- 1 Andrews, Garnett, 1837-1903
- 1 Arnold, Laura Ann Jackson, 1826-1911
- 1 Berkeley, Edmund, 1847-1906
- 1 Black, William Johnson, 1845-1935
- 1 Bransford, John F. (John Francis), 1846-1911
- 1 Cochran, Farmer D.
- 1 Colonna, Benjamin A. (Benjamin Azariah), 1843-1924
- 1 Darden, James D. (James David), 1845-1899
- 1 Dinwiddie, Hardaway H. (Hardaway Hunt), 1844-1887
- 1 Gibbons, Alfred Ringgold
- 1 Harris, Willis O. (Willis Overton), 1847-1911
- 1 Hundley, Charles B. (Charles Buckler), 1846-1908
- 1 Johnson Family
- 1 Johnson, Francis S. (Francis Smith), 1847-1902
- 1 Johnson, Mortimer H. (Mortimer Howell), 1815-1889
- 1 Johnson, Porter, 1845-1917
- 1 Lee, Robert E. (Robert Edward), 1807-1870
- 1 Nalle, G. B. Wallace (Gustavus Brown Wallace), 1846-1926
- 1 Nalle, Philip Pendleton
- 1 Pizzini, Andrew, 1846-1913
- 1 Robinson, Thomas B. (Thomas Beverly), 1836-1895
- 1 Rutherfoord, Thomas M. (Thomas Meldrum), 1848-1914
- 1 Shipp, Scott, 1839-1917
- 1 Shoemaker, John J.
- 1 Smith, Clifton H.
- 1 Smith, Edward H. (Edward Harvie), 1845-1912
- 1 Smith, Francis L. (Francis Lee), 1845-1916
- 1 Stanard, Jaqueline Beverly, 1845-1864
- 1 Tate, Thomas G.
- 1 Tunstall, John L. (John Liggat), 1845-1877
- 1 Turner, Charles W. (Charles William), 1846-1907
- 1 Veitch, Wilberforce, 1846-1921
- 1 Webb, John S. (John Samuel), 1845-1919
- 1 White, Thomas W. (Thomas Wilson), 1846-1907
- 1 Wise, Henry A. (Henry Alexander), 1842-1918
- 1 Witt, James E. (James Etchison), 1845-1936
- 1 Yarbrough, William T. (William Tilton), 1846-1895 ∧ less