Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4
Scope and Contents The collection consists of the miscellaneous papers of three members of the Barton family who attended the Virginia Military Institute during the mid-19th century. Papers relating to Cadet Charles M. Barton (VMI Class of 1856) include a letter dated September 28, 1855 from Charles to his cousin Joseph M. Barton, in which he complains about VMI life and about his instructor Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson (Jackson is described as a "hell of a fool"). Other Charles Barton material is found in a...
Scope and Contents A collection of 19th century cadet drawings (approximately 200 items) completed primarily as assignments for Professor Thomas H. Williamson's architecture, engineering, and drawing courses at the Virginia Military Institute. A few of the drawings were completed for a geometry course and other mathematics courses, or were not class assignments.Some of the geometry drawings are signed by the supervising professors, including e.g. Superintendent Francis H. Smith, who also...
Scope and Contents One letter from Cadet Richard C. Taylor to his father, dated January 15, 1854. He describes in detail the circumstances surrounding the murder of his classmate Cadet Thomas Blackburn by Charles B. Christian, a Washington College law student.
Scope and Contents The collection consists of two items. 1. Letter dated January 25, 1855 from a Prussian official, denying Barksdale and his roommates permission to enter the Prussian Army. 2. Notebook contains class notes, including notes taken in Stonewall Jackson's class section in Natural Philsophy (a course that would today be most similar to Physics) and notes taken in Analytical Geometry class taught by Francis H. Smith; resolution issued by cadets following murder of Cadet Thomas Blackburn, Class of...
- Names: Blackburn, Tom, 1834-1854 X
- 1 Architecture -- Study and teaching
- 1 Drawings (visual works)
- 1 Engineering -- Study and teaching
- 1 Geometry, Descriptive
- 1 Lexington (Va.) -- History
- 2 Mathematics -- Study and teaching
- 2 Murder -- Virginia -- Lexington -- History -- 19th century
- 1 New Market Cadets
- 2 Notebooks
- 1 Physics -- Study and teaching
- 2 Poetry
- 3 Virginia Military Institute -- Academics -- History -- 19th century
- 2 Virginia Military Institute -- Cadet compositions -- Poetry
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- Cadet drawings
- 3 Virginia Military Institute -- Cadet life -- 1850-1859
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- Cadet life -- 1860-1869
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- Cadet life -- 1861-1865
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- Class of 1854
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- Class of 1855
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- Class of 1856
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- Class of 1864
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- Class of 1866
- 3 Virginia Military Institute -- Curricula
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- Faculty -- Anecdotes
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- History -- 19th century
- 1 Washington College (Lexington, Va.) -- Students
- 1 Washington and Lee University -- Students ∧ less