Showing Collections: 1 - 5 of 5
Francis M. Boykin Civil War Papers
Scope and Contents The collection consists Civil War papers (8 items, all dated 1861), including two commission documents, extracts from orders, a letter from Governor John Letcher ordering Boykin to proceed to Grafton and communicate with Col. Thomas J. Jackson (Stonewall), one letter bearing the signature of Gen. Robert E. Lee.
James B. Terrill Civil War Letter
Scope and Contents The collection consists of one letter (April 5, 1861) from James B. Terrill to Virginia's Governor, John Letcher. Terrill offers to serve as an officer in the Virginia Volunteers and gives a brief account of his previous military experience. Endorsement by John B. Baldwin.
James Henry Waddell papers
Scope and Contents 4 items, including a letter (1855) from Cadet Waddell to his sister, that contains a detailed description and pencil drawing of his room (#14) in Barracks and of his roomates (Barksdale, Penn, Magruder, Shepherd, Wilson); a second drawing of a barracks room & roommates (similar to a sketch found in the Shepherd Collection, MS#0019); pencil map, 8 inches x 10 inches, labeled "Plan of Battle of Bethel Church, June 10, 1861." Letter of recommendation, 1879, written by VMI's Superintendent...
Maurice Langhorne letter
Scope and Contents Letter (June 19, 1861) from Maurice Langhorne of Lynchburg to Gov. John Letcher, requesting that William R. Musser be released from military duty in order to conduct essential war service in Lynchburg. Langhorne states that Musser is active in supplying the troops and is also a skilled mechanic. The document is endorsed on the verso by several officers, including General Robert E. Lee. Lee declined the request.
Samuel Garland Civil War Commission Document
Scope and Contents Commission document, dated May 9, 1861, appointing Samuel Garland, Jr. Colonel in the Virginia Volunteer Forces. Signed by Governor John Letcher. Endorsement on verso by Lewis B. Butler, Justice of the Peace for Prince William County, certifying that Garland took various prescribed oaths.
- Names: Letcher, John, 1813-1884 X
- 1 Big Bethel, Battle of, 1861 -- Maps
- 1 Confederate States of America -- Army -- Virginia Infantry Regiment, 31st
- 1 Correspondence
- 1 Lynchburg (Va.) -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- 1 Maps
- 1 Military commissions
- 1 Military maps
- 1 Military records
- 1 Soldiers -- Confederate States of America
- 2 Soldiers -- Confederate States of America -- Correspondence
- 1 Soldiers -- Virginia
- 2 Soldiers -- Virginia -- Correspondence
- 1 United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Maps
- 1 United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives, Confederate
- 3 Virginia -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- 1 Virginia -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- Alumni -- Biography
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- Buildings, structures, etc
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- Cadet drawings
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- Cadet life -- 1850-1859
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- Class of 1849
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- Class of 1855
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- Class of 1856
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- Class of 1857
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- Faculty ∧ less