Showing Collections: 1 - 7 of 7
Scope and Contents Correspondence, 1840-1918, originating in the Superintendent's office, unrelated to any other records series. Primarily about purchases and business transactions, and miscellaneous file.
Scope and Contents The collection consists of the miscellaneous papers of noted 19th century sculptor Moses Jacob Ezekiel. Included is correspondence to Virginia Military Institute Superintendent Edward West Nichols and others, 1867- 1917, some relating to the design of the Battle of New Market memorial sculpture Virginia Mourning Her Dead; pen and ink sketches by Ezekiel (ca. 67 items); a typescript version of Ezekiel's autobiography, Memoirs from the Baths of Diocletian and miscellaneous printed material.
Scope and Contents Newsletters, circulars and other mass mailings created by the Office of the Superintendent. These include the annual newsletter to parents. These mailings began with General Nichols and the frequency/subject varies among administrations.
Identifier: RG-02-Subject Files-Administrative
Scope and Contents Historically significant subject files spanning the administrations of multiple Superintendents. These topical files cover various historical eras; topics include areas such as planning, programs, and events.
Identifier: RG-02-Subject Files-Board of Visitors
Scope and Contents These records consist of one chronological file, 1909-1953, primarily containing Superintendent's working reports and memoranda to the Board of Visitors; some annotations. In addition, there are Superintendent's copies of BOV meeting packets for Gen. Shell and Irby; some with annotations.
Scope and Contents Official records of the Edward W. Nichols Administration, 1907-1924. Includes official correspondence, annual reports, and other material documenting Nichols's years as Superintendent.
Contents Note Thomas B. Scott, Jr. was a member of the VMI Class of 1917. The collection consists of approximately 20 items, 1915-1919, including Scott's cadet scrapbook containing snapshots of Superintendent Edward W. Nichols, cadets, cadet activities, dance programs, and other VMI memorabilia; miscellaneous other items, including World War I postcards (15 items) and VMI postcards (4 items).
- Names: Nichols, E. W. (Edward West), 1858-1927 X
- 1 Artists
- 1 Circular letters
- 1 Drawings (visual works)
- 1 New Market Cadets
- 1 Newsletters
- 1 Sculptors -- Italy -- Rome
- 1 Sculptors -- Virginia
- 3 Virginia Military Institute -- Administration
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- Board of Visitors
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- Buildings, structures, etc
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- Cadet Life -- 1910-1919
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- Class of 1866
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- Class of 1878
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- Class of 1917
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- History -- 20th century
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- History -- World War, 1914-1918
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- Photographs
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- Scrapbooks
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- Social life and customs
- 1 World War (1914-1918) ∧ less