Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4
Scope and Contents Scrapbook presented to the Virginia Military Institute by the students of the College of Avranches (France)" as a token of their gratitude to General Patton, the Liberator of Avranches." Contains drawings, photographs, postcards and maps detailing the history of the town from its founding through the end of World War II.
Scope and Contents The collection contains one essay and three poems by George S. Patton. The essay (2 pages), ca. 1903, discusses the significance of the VMI Corps' participation in the Battle of New Market (May 1864) and the New Market ceremony; it was probably written during the year Patton attended VMI or shortly thereafter. The typescript original poems are entitled "A Dream" (written in France, 1917, "God of Battles", and "Fear"; the latter two are signed by Patton.
Scope and Contents A collection of 35 miscellaneous documents, 1855-1924, relating to various members of the Patton family. Primary subjects are the three individuals named George S. Patton--father, son, and grandson--all of whom attended VMI. The papers include letters, biographical information, bank drafts, commissions, and miscellaneous Civil War manuscripts. Also included one of the maps used by General George Patton at the Battle of the Bulge during World War II. An inventory is available.
Overview Papers (1889-1945) of United States Army officer Samuel Dickerson Rockenbach, notable for his role in the establishment of the U.S. Army Tank Corps during World War I and his postwar work in the development of tank warfare.
- Names: Patton, George S. (George Smith), 1885-1945 X
- 1 Avranches (France) -- History
- 1 College of Avranches (France)
- 1 Correspondence
- 1 Cuba -- History -- 1899-1906
- 1 Generals -- United States
- 1 Memorandums
- 1 Military commissions
- 1 Military records
- 1 New Market (Va.), Battle of, 1864 -- Anniversaries, etc
- 1 Notebooks
- 1 Orders (military records)
- 1 Philippine American War (Philippines : 1899-1902)
- 1 Philippines -- History -- 1898-1946
- 1 Photographs
- 1 Reports
- 1 Scrapbooks
- 1 Speeches, addresses, etc.
- 1 Tank warfare -- History
- 1 United States -- Army -- Officers -- Biography
- 1 United States. -- Army. -- American Expeditionary Forces
- 1 United States. -- Army. -- Division of the Philippines
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- Class of 1852
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- Class of 1877
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- Class of 1889
- 2 Virginia Military Institute -- Class of 1907
- 1 War poetry
- 1 World War (1914-1918)
- 1 World War (1939-1945)
- 1 World War, 1914-1918 -- Poetry
- 1 World War, 1914-1918 -- Tank warfare
- 1 World War, 1939-1945 -- Poetry ∧ less