Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 25
Andrew C.L. Gatewood Papers
Scope and Contents The bulk of the papers consist of 28 letters written by Gatewood to his parents and other family members, 1860-1864.Early letters describe life at the Virginia Military Institute (hazing, daily routine, excitement about secession, cadets as drillmasters) and in Lexington, Virginia, just prior to and during early months of the Civil War. Subsequent letters date from his service with the 11th Virginia Cavalry Regiment,Company F, (Bath Squadron), including a letter written after the second Battle...
Berryman Z. Price Family Account Book
Scope and Contents This ledger/account book originated with Jacob Price and was also used by his son, Berryman. The volume contains three distinct sections: Business accounts kept by Jacob, 1845-1858; a roster of Berryman Z. Price's Artillery Company, circa 1864; and postwar accounts maintained by Jacob and/or Berryman. The book contains details of supplies, goods and services purchased and sold by the Prices, and provides insight into the economy and community ties in the New Market area during the antebellum...
Bushong Family Ledger
Scope and Contents The Bushong Family Ledger (Daybook) contains entries by Shenandoah Valley (Virginia) farmers Jacob and William Bushong. The entries made by Jacob date from 1843-1853 and include lists of accounts with debits and credits for staples, sundries, crops, services, miscellaneous purchases. The account book was subsequently used by Jacob's grandson, William, whose similar account entries date from 1879-1902. The volume also contains directions for home remedies and a few recipes, primarily...
Camillus Christian, Jr. Cadet Account Book
Scope and Contents The Camillus Christian account book contains a listing of school expenses (1909-1913) incurred while Christian was a cadet at the Virginia Military Institute.
Charles B. Hundley account book
Scope and Contents Account book fragment (3 pages) of Cadet Charles B. Hundley, Class of 1867. Contains entries for VMI expenses, 1864-1865.
Chew family account book
Scope and Contents Account book of unidentified member of the Chew family from the Shenandoah Valley region in Virginia. Entries (1834-1883); most pre-1860), include itemized accounts of customers for a variety of goods and services; including carpentry, shoemaking, hauling; list of expenses; notes about crops and cattle; clippings; recipe.
Edward C. Laird account book
Scope and Contents VMI account book of Cadet Edward C. Laird (VMI Class of 1875), of Boydton, Virginia. Contains entries for cadet expenses, 1872-1875.
George S. Patton cadet account book, 1873-1877
Scope and Contents The George S. Patton account book contains a listing of school expenses incurred while Patton was a cadet at the Virginia Military Institute, 1873-1877.
George S. Plants collection
Scope and Contents The collection consists of four items relating primarily to the Virginia Military Institute cadetship (1904-1906) of George Sands Plants. Included are Plants's cadet account book, listing VMI expenses 1904-1906; a notebook containing popular VMI football yells, circa 1905; one letter (May 14, 1905) from Plants to his parents concerning the Mess Hall fire and mentioning the upcoming New Market Day ceremony; and one letter from Plants's classmate Jesse P. Jarvis, dated July 1909.
Harry B. Baker cadet account book
Contents Note VMI account book of Cadet Harry B. Baker, VMI Class of 1889. Contains entries for VMI expenses, 1886-1889.
- Subject: Account Books X
- 1 Baker, Harry B. (Harry Burgwyn), 1869-1947
- 1 Black, William Johnson, 1845-1935
- 1 Blain, Stanton F. (Stanton Forman), 1902-1972
- 1 Brown, William N. (William Nelson), 1873-1959
- 1 Bushong, Emma
- 1 Bushong, Jacob
- 1 Chew family
- 1 Christian, Camillus, 1892-1978
- 1 Davis, Thomas B. (Thomas Bowker), 1842-1864
- 1 Gatewood, Andrew C. L. (Andrew Cameron Lewis), 1843-1919
- 1 Green, William H. (William Henry), 1852-1891
- 1 Hundley, Charles B. (Charles Buckler), 1846-1908
- 1 Janney, John, 1877-1967
- 1 Jarvis, Jesse P. (Jesse Pitts), 1887-1942
- 1 Laird, Edward C. (Edward Chambers), 1854-1938
- 1 Mitchell Family
- 1 Mitchell, William H. (William Heiskell), 1850-1907
- 1 Neikirk, Joseph D. (Joseph Dillard), 1911-1990
- 1 Nicholls, Tom R. (Tom Riston), 1906-1990
- 1 O'Hara, Robert G.
- 1 Patton, George S. (George Smith), 1856-1927
- 1 Plants, George S. (George Sands), 1885-1971
- 1 Price Family
- 1 Price, Berryman Z. (Berryman Zirkle), ?-1903
- 1 Saum Family
- 1 Saum, John A. (John Addison), 1837-1878
- 1 Shoemaker, John J.
- 1 Tardy, Thomas H. (Thomas Howard), 1889-1960
- 1 Taylor, Murray F. (Murray Forbes), 1843-1909
- 1 Wallace, Robert L. (Robert Lucius), 1902-1988
- 1 Willis, John M. (John Mitchell), 1915-1962 ∧ less