Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 65
Scope and Contents The bulk of the papers consist of 28 letters written by Gatewood to his parents and other family members, 1860-1864.Early letters describe life at the Virginia Military Institute (hazing, daily routine, excitement about secession, cadets as drillmasters) and in Lexington, Virginia, just prior to and during early months of the Civil War. Subsequent letters date from his service with the 11th Virginia Cavalry Regiment,Company F, (Bath Squadron), including a letter written after the second Battle...
Scope and Contents Civil War correspondence of Confederate soldier Andrew J. McCoy, consisting of 3 letters (1863 October 25; 1864 Jan 16 fragment; 1864 March 11) to his sister Martha written while he was serving with the 25th Virginia Infantry Regiment. The letters were written from camps in Culpepper County and Orange County, Virginia. They primarily concern family matters, camp hardships, and personal news, and provide insight into the life and thoughts of an ordinary soldier.
Scope and Contents One letter, ca. 1871, written from VMI by Cadet Johnston, Class of 1872, to his mother. The bulk of the letter concerns family matters.
Scope and Contents A collection (1845-1928; bulk dated 1860-1865) of correspondence, photographs, and miscellaneous documents of R. Henry Campbell and members of the Varner family of Lexington, Rockbridge County, Virginia. Includes Civil War letters of soldiers R. Henry Campbell (1861 April-July) and Charles V. Varner (1864, 1865). The letters were written while they were serving with the Rockbridge Rifles (part of the 4th, 5th, and 27th Virginia Infantry regiments at various dates during the war). Significant...
Scope and Contents The bulk of the collection consists of Derby family correspondence. Approximately twenty-eight letters were written by Charles Derby. The Charles Derby letters, 1844-1862, cover the period from late boyhood up to his death in battle in 1862. Included are letters (1846-1847) written while he was a cadet at the Virginia Military Institute, as well as correspondence dating from his careers as teacher and Episcopal clergyman. Two items were written during his brief service in the Confederate...
Scope and Contents The collection consists of a one page Civil War letter, dated 1865 March 17, from Headquarters, Artillery Defenses, Richmond, Virginia. The letter was written by Confederate officer Lt. Col. Charles E. Lightfoot to Colonel Benjamin S. Ewell, brother and staff officer to General Richard S. Ewell. Lightfoot asks for a clarification of command responsibility for Richmond's artillery defenses, stating that the present command situation places him in conflict with Lt. Col. Carter M. Braxton. General...
Scope and Contents One letter (1865 March 28) from Charles W. Turner to Major Garnett Andrews, commander of the 2nd Foreign Battalion. Turner discussions his commission, other soldiers, and asks to be appointed 1st Lieutenant in Andrews' unit.
Scope and Contents The papers consist of three letters written to Coleman's sister Lucy during the Civil War, and an autograph album containing inscriptions written by his classmates at VMI, the University of Virginia, and the Medical College of Virginia, ca. 1858-61. The letter of September 17, 1862, from Winchester, Virginia, discusses the Battle of Antietam and caring for wounded; November 4, 1862, Winchester, Virginia, discusses hospitals and care of wounded, General George Steuart, movement of Longstreet's...
Scope and Contents Miscellaneous incoming and outgoing correspondence of the VMI Board of Visitors or related to BOV business. Includes correspondence files for some historical individual members of the Board
Scope and Contents One letter (July 15, 1844) from Henry T. Lee (Class of 1845 & Powell's uncle) to Cadets Fitzhugh and Keeling, requesting that they treat Powell with kindness. One letter (August 22, 1846) from Cadet Powell to his mother, describing guard duty at "Camp Crozet"; purchase of clothing; family news.
- Subject: Correspondence X
- 1 Adams, Lottie P. (Lottie Putnam)
- 1 Adams, Richard H. (Richard Henry), 1841-1896
- 1 Andrews, Garnett, 1837-1903
- 1 Ashby, Turner, 1828-1862
- 1 Baldwin, Briscoe G. (Briscoe Gerard), 1828-1898
- 1 Baldwin, John B.
- 1 Barrett, John Gilchrist
- 1 Bentley, William W. (William Weldon), 1839-1924
- 1 Berkeley, Edmund, 1847-1906
- 1 Booth, Thomas B., 1840-1923
- 1 Boykin, Francis M. (Francis Marshall), 1837-1906
- 1 Brisbine, Napoleon B.
- 1 Brooke Family
- 1 Brooke, Samuel S. (Samuel Selden), 1841-1918
- 1 Campbell family
- 1 Campbell, R. Henry (Robert Henry)
- 1 Carpenter, Joseph H. (Joseph Hannah), 1834-1863
- 1 Chenoweth, Joseph H. (Joseph Hart), 1837-1862
- 1 Coleman, Clayton G. (Clayton Glanville), 1840-1908
- 1 Corbin, Diana Maury, 1837-1900
- 1 Corbin, Spotswood Wellford, 1835-1897
- 1 Cosby, George B. (George Blake, 1831-1909)
- 1 Coxe, Simeon O., 1910-1999
- 1 Davis, John K. (John Kennerly), 1906-1975
- 1 Dedrick, Henry H., 1836?-1921
- 1 Dedrick, Mary E. A.
- 1 Derby Family
- 1 Derby, Charles A., 1828-1862
- 1 Downing, Samuel, 1842-1885
- 1 Drake, James M., ?-1863
- 1 Dunlap Family
- 1 Dunlap, Adam B.
- 1 Dunlap, Robert B. (Robert Bailey), 1843-1934
- 1 Early, John F. (John Fletcher), 1830-1894
- 1 Echols, John, 1823-1896
- 1 Edmondson, James K., 1832-1898
- 1 Eisenhower, Dwight D. (Dwight David), 1890-1969
- 1 Ervine, John H. (John Hamilton), 1831-1917
- 1 Ewell, Benjamin S.
- 1 Fulkerson, Abram, 1834-1902
- 1 Fulkerson, Samuel V. (Samuel Vance), 1822-1862
- 1 Fulkerson, Samuel V. (Samuel Vance), 1863-1926
- 1 Garibaldi, John, 1831-1914
- 1 Gatewood, Andrew C. L. (Andrew Cameron Lewis), 1843-1919
- 1 Gerow, Leonard Townsend, 1888-1972
- 1 Harbord, James G. (James Guthrie), 1866-1947
- 1 Harden, James A. (James Abel), 1841-1927
- 1 Hardy, William T. (William Thomas), 1834-1911
- 1 Harris, Sutton I.
- 1 Hawkins, W. W.
- 1 Henkel Family
- 1 Henkel, David H., 1839?-
- 1 Hurley, John R.
- 1 Irby, Richard L., 1918-2002
- 7 Jackson, Stonewall, 1824-1863
- 1 Jameson, James H. (James Henry), 1820-1864
- 1 Johnston, Andrew L. (Andrew Langstaff)
- 1 Kagey, David F., 1834?-
- 1 Karnes, Benjamin
- 1 Koontz, George W.
- 1 Langhorne, Jacob K. (Jacob Kent), 1845-1863
- 1 Lee, Henry T. (Henry Tucker), 1825-1883
- 2 Lee, Robert E. (Robert Edward), 1807-1870
- 2 Letcher, John, 1813-1884
- 1 Lightfoot, Charles E. (Charles Edward), 1834-1878
- 1 Lyon, Agnes S.
- 1 MacArthur, Douglas, 1880-1964
- 1 Madison, Robert L. (Robert Lewis), 1828-1878
- 1 Marshall, F. Lewis
- 1 Marshall, Humphrey, 1812-1872
- 1 Marshall, James K. (James Keith), 1839-1863
- 1 Martin, R. Emmett
- 1 Mason, J. M. (James Murray), 1798-1871
- 1 Massie, James W. (James Woods), 1826-1872
- 1 Massie, Sophonisba Breckinridge
- 1 Maury, Ann Herndon, 1811-1901
- 1 Maury, Matthew Fontaine, 1806-1873
- 1 Maximilian, Emperor of Mexico, 1832-1867
- 1 McClellan, George B. (George Brinton), 1826-1885
- 1 McCoy, Andrew J.
- 1 McKay family
- 1 McKay, Philip B. (Philip Bond)
- 1 Myers, Derastus E. W.
- 1 Nalle, William
- 1 Norton, John T.
- 1 Patton, George S. (George Smith), 1885-1945
- 1 Pershing, John J. (John Joseph), 1860-1948
- 1 Powell, Daniel L. (Daniel Lee), 1826-1871
- 1 Preston, John Thomas Lewis, 1811-1890
- 1 Reid, James H. (James Henry), 1845-1921
- 1 Rinker, Michael F.
- 1 Rockenbach, Samuel D. (Samuel Dickerson), 1869-1952
- 1 Rutledge family
- 1 Rutledge, Oliver M. (Oliver Middleton), 1862-1928
- 1 Shields, John H. (John Hardy), 1846-1875
- 1 Slaughter, Philip P. (Philip Peyton), 1834-1893
- 3 Smith, Francis H. (Francis Henney), 1812-1890
- 1 Smith, Francis L. (Francis Lee), 1845-1916
- 2 Virginia Military Institute. Board of Visitors
- 2 Williamson, Thomas H. (Thomas Hoomes), 1813-1888 ∧ less