Showing Collections: 31 - 40 of 65
Scope and Contents Letter (June 18, 1861) from Confederate soldier John Hamilton Ervine of Bridgewater, Rockingham County, Virginia, to his wife. Ervine was 2nd Sgt., Company I, 1st Virginia Cavalry. Written from camp in Berkeley County, West Virginia. Primary topics are troop movements, value of horses, camp life, helpfulness of civilians in providing food and water, and family news. Ervine later served with the 4th Virginia Infantry, was wounded, and taken prisoner. After the war he was a farmer in Brownsburg,...
Scope and Contents Letters (3 items) written by Cadet John H. Shields to his parents while he was a cadet at VMI. Items are dated March 24 and April 7, 1864, and undated letter fragment. In addition to routine matters, letter of March 24 mentions faculty member Thomas H. Williamson going to Panther's Gap to "survey the land, and make arrangements for throwing up fortifications and breastworks"; and discusses how cadets coped with the rationing of food. Miscellaneous unrelated document: field...
Scope and Contents The John K. Davis papers consist of original propaganda leaflets directed at the Japanese troops and civilians, 1945; personal correspondence written to his parents and largely concerning family matters, 1945-1946; formal photographs of Davis from his cadetship, Army career, and civilian career; amateur snapshots of Manila and surrounding area, ca. 1945; maps of Japanese cities issued to officers, 1945; "Guide to Japan", September 1945; and miscellaneous other printed material.
Scope and Contents The collections consists of 12 letters from Confederate soldier J. R. [likely John] Hurley (Private, Co. "A", 39th Alabama Infantry Regiment) to his sisters. The letters were written from camps at Tupelo, Mississippi; and Shelbyville and Chattanooga, Tennessee. Topics include camp life and hardships; personal news.
Identifier: RG-01-Correspondence-Preston - Smith
Scope and Contents Correspondence between Francis H. Smith, who became VMI's first Superintendent, and John T. L. Preston relating to the organization and opening of VMI. Includes four letters from Preston to Smith; and one letter from Smith to Preston, in which he accepts the job offered by the Board of Visitors to serve as Superintendent (originally called Principal Professor). One related letter is from Francis H. Smith to William Atkinson or Atkison, in which Smith asks for advice about VMI's job...
Scope and Contents One Civil War letter written by Union soldier John T. Norton (Lieut., 97th Regiment New York State Volunteers) to his father, Morgan Norton of Norway, NY. The letter is dated May 23rd, 1863. Norton discusses the Battle of Chancellorsville and mentions the death of Stonewall Jackson, referring to him as"the bravest of the brave."
Scope and Contents Papers consist of: Manuscript notebook compiled by Carpenter during his cadetship, 1852-1856, containing poetry, class notes, autographs of classmates, detailed account of Corps trip to Petersburg and Richmond, October 1855.Two letters written by Carpenter to his father in 1862, including letter of June 16, 1862 describing fighting near Port Republic, Virginia.Letter of recommendation written on Carpenter's behalf by Brigadier General John Echols, submitted to...
Scope and Contents Ca. 32 items. Letters, 1855-1861, written by Joseph H. Chenoweth to his parents. Letters dating from his cadetship cover topics such as exams, trips, demerits, and provide a good portrait of pre-war cadet life. Letters dated 1860-1861 were written while he was a Professor at Maryland Agricultural College and at VMI; topics include the election of 1860, John T. L. Preston, religion. The collection also contains two VMI grade reports for 1856. Transcriptions of the cadet letters are available on...
Collection — Box: 1
Scope and Contents The collection consists of documents and photographs (ca. 120 items) from the military career of U.S. Army General Leonard Townsend Gerow (b. 1888 d.1972). It includes correspondence with General Dwight D. Eisenhower,autobiographical material, speeches (1945-1948), and photographs. Material complementary to this collection is located in his student/alumni file, also located in the VMI Archives.
- Subject: Correspondence X
- 1 Adams, Lottie P. (Lottie Putnam)
- 1 Adams, Richard H. (Richard Henry), 1841-1896
- 1 Andrews, Garnett, 1837-1903
- 1 Ashby, Turner, 1828-1862
- 1 Baldwin, Briscoe G. (Briscoe Gerard), 1828-1898
- 1 Baldwin, John B.
- 1 Barrett, John Gilchrist
- 1 Bentley, William W. (William Weldon), 1839-1924
- 1 Berkeley, Edmund, 1847-1906
- 1 Booth, Thomas B., 1840-1923
- 1 Boykin, Francis M. (Francis Marshall), 1837-1906
- 1 Brisbine, Napoleon B.
- 1 Brooke Family
- 1 Brooke, Samuel S. (Samuel Selden), 1841-1918
- 1 Campbell family
- 1 Campbell, R. Henry (Robert Henry)
- 1 Carpenter, Joseph H. (Joseph Hannah), 1834-1863
- 1 Chenoweth, Joseph H. (Joseph Hart), 1837-1862
- 1 Coleman, Clayton G. (Clayton Glanville), 1840-1908
- 1 Corbin, Diana Maury, 1837-1900
- 1 Corbin, Spotswood Wellford, 1835-1897
- 1 Cosby, George B. (George Blake, 1831-1909)
- 1 Coxe, Simeon O., 1910-1999
- 1 Davis, John K. (John Kennerly), 1906-1975
- 1 Dedrick, Henry H., 1836?-1921
- 1 Dedrick, Mary E. A.
- 1 Derby Family
- 1 Derby, Charles A., 1828-1862
- 1 Downing, Samuel, 1842-1885
- 1 Drake, James M., ?-1863
- 1 Dunlap Family
- 1 Dunlap, Adam B.
- 1 Dunlap, Robert B. (Robert Bailey), 1843-1934
- 1 Early, John F. (John Fletcher), 1830-1894
- 1 Echols, John, 1823-1896
- 1 Edmondson, James K., 1832-1898
- 1 Eisenhower, Dwight D. (Dwight David), 1890-1969
- 1 Ervine, John H. (John Hamilton), 1831-1917
- 1 Ewell, Benjamin S.
- 1 Fulkerson, Abram, 1834-1902
- 1 Fulkerson, Samuel V. (Samuel Vance), 1822-1862
- 1 Fulkerson, Samuel V. (Samuel Vance), 1863-1926
- 1 Garibaldi, John, 1831-1914
- 1 Gatewood, Andrew C. L. (Andrew Cameron Lewis), 1843-1919
- 1 Gerow, Leonard Townsend, 1888-1972
- 1 Harbord, James G. (James Guthrie), 1866-1947
- 1 Harden, James A. (James Abel), 1841-1927
- 1 Hardy, William T. (William Thomas), 1834-1911
- 1 Harris, Sutton I.
- 1 Hawkins, W. W.
- 1 Henkel Family
- 1 Henkel, David H., 1839?-
- 1 Hurley, John R.
- 1 Irby, Richard L., 1918-2002
- 7 Jackson, Stonewall, 1824-1863
- 1 Jameson, James H. (James Henry), 1820-1864
- 1 Johnston, Andrew L. (Andrew Langstaff)
- 1 Kagey, David F., 1834?-
- 1 Karnes, Benjamin
- 1 Koontz, George W.
- 1 Langhorne, Jacob K. (Jacob Kent), 1845-1863
- 1 Lee, Henry T. (Henry Tucker), 1825-1883
- 2 Lee, Robert E. (Robert Edward), 1807-1870
- 2 Letcher, John, 1813-1884
- 1 Lightfoot, Charles E. (Charles Edward), 1834-1878
- 1 Lyon, Agnes S.
- 1 MacArthur, Douglas, 1880-1964
- 1 Madison, Robert L. (Robert Lewis), 1828-1878
- 1 Marshall, F. Lewis
- 1 Marshall, Humphrey, 1812-1872
- 1 Marshall, James K. (James Keith), 1839-1863
- 1 Martin, R. Emmett
- 1 Mason, J. M. (James Murray), 1798-1871
- 1 Massie, James W. (James Woods), 1826-1872
- 1 Massie, Sophonisba Breckinridge
- 1 Maury, Ann Herndon, 1811-1901
- 1 Maury, Matthew Fontaine, 1806-1873
- 1 Maximilian, Emperor of Mexico, 1832-1867
- 1 McClellan, George B. (George Brinton), 1826-1885
- 1 McCoy, Andrew J.
- 1 McKay family
- 1 McKay, Philip B. (Philip Bond)
- 1 Myers, Derastus E. W.
- 1 Nalle, William
- 1 Norton, John T.
- 1 Patton, George S. (George Smith), 1885-1945
- 1 Pershing, John J. (John Joseph), 1860-1948
- 1 Powell, Daniel L. (Daniel Lee), 1826-1871
- 1 Preston, John Thomas Lewis, 1811-1890
- 1 Reid, James H. (James Henry), 1845-1921
- 1 Rinker, Michael F.
- 1 Rockenbach, Samuel D. (Samuel Dickerson), 1869-1952
- 1 Rutledge family
- 1 Rutledge, Oliver M. (Oliver Middleton), 1862-1928
- 1 Shields, John H. (John Hardy), 1846-1875
- 1 Slaughter, Philip P. (Philip Peyton), 1834-1893
- 3 Smith, Francis H. (Francis Henney), 1812-1890
- 1 Smith, Francis L. (Francis Lee), 1845-1916
- 2 Virginia Military Institute. Board of Visitors
- 2 Williamson, Thomas H. (Thomas Hoomes), 1813-1888 ∧ less