Showing Collections: 51 - 60 of 65
Overview Papers (1889-1945) of United States Army officer Samuel Dickerson Rockenbach, notable for his role in the establishment of the U.S. Army Tank Corps during World War I and his postwar work in the development of tank warfare.
Scope and Contents The papers consist of 3 items. One letter (November 17, 1859) from Cadet Downing to his father, in which he describes in detail the cadets' trip to Norfolk, VA, including an interesting account of an uncomfortable canal boat journey; one list of demerits (April-June 1860); one quarterly grade report (July 1860)
Scope and Contents The papers consist of five letters, 1862-1864, to and from family members, largely concerned with personal family matters, but with some references to the war and civilian life in Fredericksburg and Richmond, Virginia. Other topics include the 47th Virginia Infantry Regiment, including comments about camp life. In addition to the correspondence, the papers contain commissions, orders, certificates, and miscellaneous official documents dating from Brooke's Civil War service and later...
Scope and Contents The Simeon O. Coxe collection contains a one volume typewritten transcription of letters written by Cadet Coxe (Virginia Military Institute Class of 1933) to his parents in Richmond, Virginia. The letters cover Coxe's entire cadetship (1929-1933) and contain a detailed record of VMI student life during early 1930's. Topics include daily routines; hazing; financial concerns; academics; athletics; ROTC summer camp at Fort Hoyle, Maryland; and the Ring Figure dance.
Scope and Contents One letter, dated September 12, 1861, from Confederate soldier Sutton I. Harris, of Shenandoah County, Virginia, to "my dearest Lizzie." The letter was written from camp at Duffield's Station, Jefferson County[West] Virginia and contains complaints about food and camp hardships; mentions being surrounded by federal troops; personal news; mentions Col. Turner Ashby. Harris was a Private serving with the 7th Virginia Cavalry Regiment.
Scope and Contents A collection of letters [57 items] written by Cadet Thomas Boisseau Booth to his future wife, Agnes S. Lyon of Petersburg, Virginia. All of the letters were written from VMI, where Booth was a cadet from 1855-1858, and contain largely personal news; there are occasional references to VMI news. These are essentially letters documenting the courtship of Booth and Lyon.
Scope and Contents The collection consists of 3 Civil War era letters (1862-1863) from Confederate soldier Thomas M. Wade to his sister Lou, written while he was serving as a Private in the 1st Rockbridge Artillery Battery. Topics include daily camp life; personal news; and brief references to Stonewall Jackson and the battle at Antietam (Sharpsburg). The papers also include one post-war photograph of Wade, circa 1870. The collection consists of 3 Civil War era letters (1862-1863) from Confederate soldier Thomas...
Scope and Contents Civil War letter written by Union soldier W. W. Hawkins to his father. The letter is dated November 20, 1862 from "Camp at Fairmount, Near Fredericksburg, VA." The letter contains comments about military life (marching, lack of rations, talking with Confederate soldiers encamped across the river, cavalry foraging for food).
Contents Note The collection contains three Civil War documents relating to Col. Walter H. Taylor's Confederate Army Service. 1. Letter from Taylor to "Lucien" (surname not known), dated 24 October 1864. Taylor declines his friend's invitation to his wedding, stating that his service as Gen. Robert E. Lee's Adjutant General prevents him from taking any leave. 2.Order, HQ Army of Northern Virginia, 23 August 1864. Signed by Taylor, regarding furloughs. 3. Dispatch from Briscoe Baldwin to Taylor,...
Scope and Contents This detailed letter provides an eyewitness account of the last days of the Civil War in Richmond, Virginia, the capital of the Confederacy. Oscar Weisiger, a long-time city resident and businessman, describes the evacuation of the city, the extensive fires, the occupation of the city by federal troops and the troops' treatment of former slaves, the problems he faces in attempting to reestablish his mercantile business, and a discussion of his relationship with northern creditors. The letter is...
- Subject: Correspondence X
- 1 Adams, Lottie P. (Lottie Putnam)
- 1 Adams, Richard H. (Richard Henry), 1841-1896
- 1 Andrews, Garnett, 1837-1903
- 1 Ashby, Turner, 1828-1862
- 1 Baldwin, Briscoe G. (Briscoe Gerard), 1828-1898
- 1 Baldwin, John B.
- 1 Barrett, John Gilchrist
- 1 Bentley, William W. (William Weldon), 1839-1924
- 1 Berkeley, Edmund, 1847-1906
- 1 Booth, Thomas B., 1840-1923
- 1 Boykin, Francis M. (Francis Marshall), 1837-1906
- 1 Brisbine, Napoleon B.
- 1 Brooke Family
- 1 Brooke, Samuel S. (Samuel Selden), 1841-1918
- 1 Campbell family
- 1 Campbell, R. Henry (Robert Henry)
- 1 Carpenter, Joseph H. (Joseph Hannah), 1834-1863
- 1 Chenoweth, Joseph H. (Joseph Hart), 1837-1862
- 1 Coleman, Clayton G. (Clayton Glanville), 1840-1908
- 1 Corbin, Diana Maury, 1837-1900
- 1 Corbin, Spotswood Wellford, 1835-1897
- 1 Cosby, George B. (George Blake, 1831-1909)
- 1 Coxe, Simeon O., 1910-1999
- 1 Davis, John K. (John Kennerly), 1906-1975
- 1 Dedrick, Henry H., 1836?-1921
- 1 Dedrick, Mary E. A.
- 1 Derby Family
- 1 Derby, Charles A., 1828-1862
- 1 Downing, Samuel, 1842-1885
- 1 Drake, James M., ?-1863
- 1 Dunlap Family
- 1 Dunlap, Adam B.
- 1 Dunlap, Robert B. (Robert Bailey), 1843-1934
- 1 Early, John F. (John Fletcher), 1830-1894
- 1 Echols, John, 1823-1896
- 1 Edmondson, James K., 1832-1898
- 1 Eisenhower, Dwight D. (Dwight David), 1890-1969
- 1 Ervine, John H. (John Hamilton), 1831-1917
- 1 Ewell, Benjamin S.
- 1 Fulkerson, Abram, 1834-1902
- 1 Fulkerson, Samuel V. (Samuel Vance), 1822-1862
- 1 Fulkerson, Samuel V. (Samuel Vance), 1863-1926
- 1 Garibaldi, John, 1831-1914
- 1 Gatewood, Andrew C. L. (Andrew Cameron Lewis), 1843-1919
- 1 Gerow, Leonard Townsend, 1888-1972
- 1 Harbord, James G. (James Guthrie), 1866-1947
- 1 Harden, James A. (James Abel), 1841-1927
- 1 Hardy, William T. (William Thomas), 1834-1911
- 1 Harris, Sutton I.
- 1 Hawkins, W. W.
- 1 Henkel Family
- 1 Henkel, David H., 1839?-
- 1 Hurley, John R.
- 1 Irby, Richard L., 1918-2002
- 7 Jackson, Stonewall, 1824-1863
- 1 Jameson, James H. (James Henry), 1820-1864
- 1 Johnston, Andrew L. (Andrew Langstaff)
- 1 Kagey, David F., 1834?-
- 1 Karnes, Benjamin
- 1 Koontz, George W.
- 1 Langhorne, Jacob K. (Jacob Kent), 1845-1863
- 1 Lee, Henry T. (Henry Tucker), 1825-1883
- 2 Lee, Robert E. (Robert Edward), 1807-1870
- 2 Letcher, John, 1813-1884
- 1 Lightfoot, Charles E. (Charles Edward), 1834-1878
- 1 Lyon, Agnes S.
- 1 MacArthur, Douglas, 1880-1964
- 1 Madison, Robert L. (Robert Lewis), 1828-1878
- 1 Marshall, F. Lewis
- 1 Marshall, Humphrey, 1812-1872
- 1 Marshall, James K. (James Keith), 1839-1863
- 1 Martin, R. Emmett
- 1 Mason, J. M. (James Murray), 1798-1871
- 1 Massie, James W. (James Woods), 1826-1872
- 1 Massie, Sophonisba Breckinridge
- 1 Maury, Ann Herndon, 1811-1901
- 1 Maury, Matthew Fontaine, 1806-1873
- 1 Maximilian, Emperor of Mexico, 1832-1867
- 1 McClellan, George B. (George Brinton), 1826-1885
- 1 McCoy, Andrew J.
- 1 McKay family
- 1 McKay, Philip B. (Philip Bond)
- 1 Myers, Derastus E. W.
- 1 Nalle, William
- 1 Norton, John T.
- 1 Patton, George S. (George Smith), 1885-1945
- 1 Pershing, John J. (John Joseph), 1860-1948
- 1 Powell, Daniel L. (Daniel Lee), 1826-1871
- 1 Preston, John Thomas Lewis, 1811-1890
- 1 Reid, James H. (James Henry), 1845-1921
- 1 Rinker, Michael F.
- 1 Rockenbach, Samuel D. (Samuel Dickerson), 1869-1952
- 1 Rutledge family
- 1 Rutledge, Oliver M. (Oliver Middleton), 1862-1928
- 1 Shields, John H. (John Hardy), 1846-1875
- 1 Slaughter, Philip P. (Philip Peyton), 1834-1893
- 3 Smith, Francis H. (Francis Henney), 1812-1890
- 1 Smith, Francis L. (Francis Lee), 1845-1916
- 2 Virginia Military Institute. Board of Visitors
- 2 Williamson, Thomas H. (Thomas Hoomes), 1813-1888 ∧ less