Showing Collections: 11 - 20 of 24
Scope and Contents The collection consists of the letters and diary of Cadet John F. Early (b. 1830 in Lynchburg, Va.; d. 1894), who attended VMI 1848-1850. The one volume diary-notebook contains short and sporadic entries; daily routines and special events are noted; one of the earliest references to Superintendent Francis H. Smith as "Spex" (April 30, 1850); lists of cadets; room occupants; poetry of Sara Henderson Smith ("The Old Gray Coat) and others. The five letters were written to...
Scope and Contents Hanna's diary contains a colorful account of life at VMI and in Lexington during the spring of 1864. Entries begin April 17, 1864 and end May 9, 1864. On May 10, the cadets were called to active duty at the request of Gen. John C. Breckinridge and on May 15 participated in the Battle of New Market. The entries contain comments about VMI activities and people, Lexington social life, and discussion of personal concerns. This volume was picked up by a Union soldier, probably when Union...
Scope and Contents The John L. Cochran Papers consist of a report card (1879) from the secondary school Cochran attended before entering the Virginia Military Institute; one letter (September 4, 1880) from VMI Cadet Cochran to his mother; a diary, with sketches (1881), containing short and sporadic entries made while he was a student at the Virginia Military Institute and concerning various aspects of cadet life; and four volumes of class notes (1882-1885) taken while Cochran was a student at Swarthmore College...
Scope and Contents Diary of Union soldier Joseph W. Crowther, who served during the Civil War with Company H., 128th New York Infantry Regiment. Diary is bound in leather, ca. 3 1/2" x 6" x 14", 131 pages; entries begin November 9 1864 and end July 23 1865 when regiment is disbanded. Crowther describes camp life; foraging; skirmishes; winter quarters in Winchester, Virginia; transport via steamship to Fort Monroe, Virginia and Savannah, Georgia; soldiers receiving news of the assassination of President Lincoln;...
Scope and Contents Murray French Edwards (Class of 1907) was a Professor of German at VMI for most of his career. Collection consists of travel diary, ca. 53 pages, describing Edwards' trip to Germany. Entries all in German, are dated June 24-August 8, 1913. Discusses cities visited, hotels, expenses, museums, and other tourist attractions.
Scope and Contents The collection consists of miscellaneous Civil War papers of Nathaniel C. Wilson (VMI Class of 1861) and misc. papers of other family members. Of the N. C. Wilson portion of the collection, the most significant item is a diary-account book fragment which includes entries (July 25th-July 3, the day of his death) from Pennsylvania and the battlefield at Gettysburg. Other N. C. Wilson items include two letters written while he was a student at the University of Virginia in 1859-1860, and one...
Scope and Contents Diary transcription [typescript, photocopy], "My Military Service, 11 August 1941 to 1 November 1945". It is a detailed account of his life in the United States Army, including information about stateside training; traveling by convoy to England; preparation for the Normandy invasion; D-Day and immediate aftermath; and subsequent campaigns in France and Central Europe.
Collection — Box: 1
Scope and Contents Civil War papers (ca. 80 items) of Captain Richard H. Adams, Jr. Consist of manuscript diary kept while serving with the 5th Alabama Regiment in Virginia, April-June 1862, with accompanying typewritten transcription. Transcriptions only of two additional diary volumes (Sept. 1862-March 1863; and prison diary, 1864-1865); 47 original letters (Nov. 1863-Sept. 1866) to Lottie Putnam Adams, most written before their marriage while he was a prisoner of war; 23 original letters from Lottie to...
Scope and Contents The collection consists of a 3 volume diary dating from the VMI cadetship of Richard K. Boney, Class of 1878. Daily brief entries, 1874-1878, note weather and significant events. The collection also contains a poetry notebook, 1874-1878, including standard VMI poetry and copied quotations; and one scrapbook fragment, 1874-1878, with clippings about VMI events such as commencement, and miscellaneous programs and invitations.
Scope and Contents One volume notebook, ca. 45 pages, containing miscellaneous personal notes (Dec. 1864-April 1865) and brief diary entries (January 1; April 3-13, 1865). Diary portion covers activities of the 1st Engineers Regiment during the last few days of the war; mentions surrender at Appomattox and includes pencil sketch of surrender site. Notes concern supplies, furloughs and desertions, guard rosters; also maxims and quotations from books.
- Subject: Diaries X
- 1 Adams, Lottie P. (Lottie Putnam)
- 1 Adams, Richard H. (Richard Henry), 1841-1896
- 1 Ayres, Henry Fairfax, 1886-1979
- 1 Baker, I. Norval (Isaac Norval), 1844-1924
- 1 Beall, Edward T. (Edward Thomas), b. 1847
- 1 Black, William Johnson, 1845-1935
- 1 Boney, Richard K. (Richard Kinsey), 1858-1937
- 1 Boyd, Robert A. (Robert Alexander), 1842-1909
- 1 Cochran, John L. (John Lynn), 1863-1887
- 1 Cocke, William H. (William Horner), 1874-1938
- 1 Crowther, Joseph W., 1833-1924?
- 1 Davis, Albert D. (Albert Daniel), 1913-1992
- 1 Davis, Thomas D. (Thomas Dixon), 1843-1925
- 1 Early, John F. (John Fletcher), 1830-1894
- 1 Edwards, Murray F. (Murray French), 1885-1963
- 1 Gatewood, Robert, 1829-1909
- 1 Gatling, Norborne P., Jr.
- 1 Gilham, William, 1818-1872
- 1 Griffith, William F. R., Jr.
- 1 Haigh, Charles Thomas, 1845-1864
- 1 Hanna, John F. (John Francis), 1843-1885
- 1 Humphreys, J. O.
- 1 Hutter, Edward S. (Edward Sixtus), 1839-1904
- 1 Jackson, Stonewall, 1824-1863
- 1 Moss, James B., Jr., 1924-1998
- 1 Nottingham, Thomas J. (Thomas Jacob), 1864-1953
- 1 Phillips, Charles C. (Charles Coatsworth)
- 1 Phillips, Samuel T. (Samuel Travers)
- 1 Scofield, Uri B.
- 1 Scott, George C., Jr. (George Cole)
- 1 Shoemaker, John J.
- 1 Shriver, Samuel S. (Samuel Sprigg), 1843-1881
- 1 Smith, Edward H. (Edward Harvie), 1845-1912
- 1 Smith, Francis H. (Francis Henney), 1812-1890
- 3 Smith, Sara Henderson, 1812-1884
- 1 Williamson, Henry Watson, 1823-1884
- 1 Wilson Family
- 1 Wilson, Nathaniel C., 1839-1863 ∧ less