Showing Collections: 21 - 24 of 24
Scope and Contents Manuscript notebook-diary (1849-1853) of Robert Gatewood. Entries include original and copies poetry dating from his last year at VMI; essays; diary entries dating from period 1851-1853, written while Gatewood was teaching at the College of William and Mary. Diary entries and notes frequently have a religious theme.
Scope and Contents The collection consists of the diary (1883-1885) written by Virginia Military Institute Cadet Thomas J. Nottingham. It contains a consistent record of the daily cadet routine as it existed during the mid- 1880's and is an excellent source for information about student life during that era. Included are specific references to recitations, fights, dress parade, the Dialectic Society (a student debating society), YMCA, girls, baseball and football games with Washington College students ("minks"),...
Scope and Contents Three volume Civil War era diary of Union soldier Uri (possibly Uriah) B. Scofield, who served with the 18th Connecticut Volunteer Infantry Regiment. The diary entries are not detailed, although some information about regimental activities is provided. Volume I (1864) includes the unit's march through the Shenandoah Valley and mentions the burning of the Virginia Military Institute in June 1864.
Scope and Contents The collection consists of the one volume diary of Confederate soldier William J. Black. The diary entries date from October 1864 - January 1865, written while Black was serving in Captain John J. Shoemaker's Company, Virginia Horse Artillery. Included are brief accounts of various skirmishes and the Battle of Cedar Creek; campsites and positions are recorded daily. Following the diary entries are copies of two of Shoemaker's reports detailing Battery activities, dated September 1, 1864...
- Subject: Diaries X
- 1 Adams, Lottie P. (Lottie Putnam)
- 1 Adams, Richard H. (Richard Henry), 1841-1896
- 1 Ayres, Henry Fairfax, 1886-1979
- 1 Baker, I. Norval (Isaac Norval), 1844-1924
- 1 Beall, Edward T. (Edward Thomas), b. 1847
- 1 Black, William Johnson, 1845-1935
- 1 Boney, Richard K. (Richard Kinsey), 1858-1937
- 1 Boyd, Robert A. (Robert Alexander), 1842-1909
- 1 Cochran, John L. (John Lynn), 1863-1887
- 1 Cocke, William H. (William Horner), 1874-1938
- 1 Crowther, Joseph W., 1833-1924?
- 1 Davis, Albert D. (Albert Daniel), 1913-1992
- 1 Davis, Thomas D. (Thomas Dixon), 1843-1925
- 1 Early, John F. (John Fletcher), 1830-1894
- 1 Edwards, Murray F. (Murray French), 1885-1963
- 1 Gatewood, Robert, 1829-1909
- 1 Gatling, Norborne P., Jr.
- 1 Gilham, William, 1818-1872
- 1 Griffith, William F. R., Jr.
- 1 Haigh, Charles Thomas, 1845-1864
- 1 Hanna, John F. (John Francis), 1843-1885
- 1 Humphreys, J. O.
- 1 Hutter, Edward S. (Edward Sixtus), 1839-1904
- 1 Jackson, Stonewall, 1824-1863
- 1 Moss, James B., Jr., 1924-1998
- 1 Nottingham, Thomas J. (Thomas Jacob), 1864-1953
- 1 Phillips, Charles C. (Charles Coatsworth)
- 1 Phillips, Samuel T. (Samuel Travers)
- 1 Scofield, Uri B.
- 1 Scott, George C., Jr. (George Cole)
- 1 Shoemaker, John J.
- 1 Shriver, Samuel S. (Samuel Sprigg), 1843-1881
- 1 Smith, Edward H. (Edward Harvie), 1845-1912
- 1 Smith, Francis H. (Francis Henney), 1812-1890
- 3 Smith, Sara Henderson, 1812-1884
- 1 Williamson, Henry Watson, 1823-1884
- 1 Wilson Family
- 1 Wilson, Nathaniel C., 1839-1863 ∧ less