Showing Collections: 11 - 19 of 19
Scope and Contents Martin Family papers, 2 items. Letter from 14 year old Hattie to her mother Susan, of Winchester, VA, written while Hattie was visiting relatives in Lexington, Virginia (undated, ca. 1851); she sends general news of visit. Also letter (November 5,1851) to Rev. John Martin from his father-in-law John Ruff, relating Lexington news; topics include street improvements.
Identifier: RG-04-Preservation reports
Scope and Contents In 2005, VMI was awarded a Campus Heritage Grant from the Getty Foundation in order to review and provide a strategy for protecting and preserving the historical architectural and landscape resources on Post. This is the final report of John Milner Associates, Inc., who worked with VMI to devise this plan.
Scope and Contents One letter from Cadet Richard C. Taylor to his father, dated January 15, 1854. He describes in detail the circumstances surrounding the murder of his classmate Cadet Thomas Blackburn by Charles B. Christian, a Washington College law student.
Collection — Box: 1
Scope and Contents Papers consist of two letters (1862) written by Cadet Atwill to his parents, relating anecdotes about life at VMI; one letter (July 1864) from Supt. Francis H. Smith notifying family of Atwill's death; fragment of Atwill's cadet account book. Atwill was thoughtful and religious; his letters also reflect a wonderful sense of humor---they contain amusing anecdotes about wartime cadet life, including a colorful account of cadets stealing chickens from a local farmer in order to supplement the...
Scope and Contents Letter from Sidney Marlin, a Union soldier (U. S. Army Signal Corps), to his wife Sallie [Sarah]. Dated June 14, 1864 from Lexington, Virginia, where Union forces were camped during Hunter's Raid. Marlin describes the Institute, comments on the destruction of VMI and Governor Letcher's property.
Scope and Contents Three volume Civil War era diary of Union soldier Uri (possibly Uriah) B. Scofield, who served with the 18th Connecticut Volunteer Infantry Regiment. The diary entries are not detailed, although some information about regimental activities is provided. Volume I (1864) includes the unit's march through the Shenandoah Valley and mentions the burning of the Virginia Military Institute in June 1864.
Overview The papers consist largely of manuscripts (drafts, galleys, proofs), notes, and other research material relating to Couper's interest in the history of Lexington and Rockbridge County (Virginia), the Virginia Military Institute, and the Shenandoah Valley. Other topics include the construction of Fort Jackson, South Carolina in 1917, and General Stonewall Jackson.
Scope and Contents Two versions of the Civil War memoirs of a Union soldier who served during the Shenandoah Valley Campaign, 1864. Unbound manuscript consists of 77 pages, probably written soon after the end of the war.This detailed account of his service includes information about the burning of the Virginia Military Institute by General David Hunter in June 1864; the advance on Lynchburg, Virginia; and his unit's retreat after the Battle of Lynchburg to Charleston and Parkersburg, West...
Scope and Contents One letter (October 16, 1870) from Cadet William Nalle to his mother, Mrs. Thomas Botts Nalle. Contains a detailed account of the death and funeral of General Robert E. Lee. Nalle describes mourning activities at VMI, Washington College, and Lexington; standing guard over Lee's body with four other cadets; funeral procession. Letter also mentions flood in Rockbridge County that destroyed canal locks, bridges and other property.
- Subject: Lexington (Va.) -- History X
- 1 Atwill, Samuel F. (Samuel Francis), 1846-1864
- 1 Blackburn, Tom, 1834-1854
- 1 Brown, Alexander Stuart
- 1 Campbell family
- 1 Campbell, R. Henry (Robert Henry)
- 1 Carrington, Edward C., Jr. (Edward Codrington)
- 1 Chenoweth, Joseph H. (Joseph Hart), 1837-1862
- 1 Christian, Charles B. (Charles Burks)
- 1 Couper, Wm. (William), b. 1884
- 1 Crozet, Claudius, 1790-1864
- 1 Davis, Thomas D. (Thomas Dixon), 1843-1925
- 1 Edmondson, James K., 1832-1898
- 1 Figgat, Charles M. (Charles Miles), ?-1899
- 1 Gatewood, Andrew C. L. (Andrew Cameron Lewis), 1843-1919
- 1 Gilham, William, 1818-1872
- 1 Gunn, Giles
- 1 Haigh, Charles Thomas, 1845-1864
- 1 Hanna, John F. (John Francis), 1843-1885
- 1 Humphreys, J. O.
- 2 Hunter, David
- 2 Jackson, Stonewall, 1824-1863
- 1 John Milner Associates
- 1 Jordan, John, 1777-1854
- 1 Lee, Robert E. (Robert Edward), 1807-1870
- 1 Marlin, Sidney
- 1 Martin Family
- 1 Martin, Hattie
- 1 Nalle, William
- 1 Richardson, William H. (William Harvie), 1795-1876
- 1 Ruff, John
- 1 Saunders, James D., 1824-1851
- 1 Scofield, Uri B.
- 1 Shriver, Samuel S. (Samuel Sprigg), 1843-1881
- 1 Smith, Edward H. (Edward Harvie), 1845-1912
- 1 Smith, Sara Henderson, 1812-1884
- 1 Taylor, Richard C., 1835-1917
- 1 Varner family
- 1 Varner, Andrew W. (Andrew Wallace), 1831-1910
- 1 Varner, Charles V. (Charles Van Buren), 1838-1907
- 1 Virginia Military Institute. Office of the Deputy Superintendent for Finance, Administration, and Support
- 1 Watson, William G. (William Gerard), 1837-1922 ∧ less