Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 41
Andrew Pizzini Civil War Parole Document
Scope and Contents Civil War parole document dated April 18, 1865, signed by Andrew Pizzini, Jr. This document is a typical example of the document signed by Confederate prisoners at the end of the Civil War.
Barton Family Papers
Scope and Contents The collection consists of the miscellaneous papers of three members of the Barton family who attended the Virginia Military Institute during the mid-19th century. Papers relating to Cadet Charles M. Barton (VMI Class of 1856) include a letter dated September 28, 1855 from Charles to his cousin Joseph M. Barton, in which he complains about VMI life and about his instructor Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson (Jackson is described as a "hell of a fool"). Other Charles Barton material is found in a...
Cadet Autograph Albums
Scope and Contents Keepsake albums, popular in the 19th and early 20th centuries. Five items, including autograph album compiled by VMI New Market Cadet Edward Harvie Smith, Jr. It contains signed inscriptions by 19 fellow New Market Cadets. Other items: Farmer D. Cochran (Class of 1889); Thomas G. Tate (Class of 1877); 1874 Class members (original owner unknown); Class of 1902 autograph page.
Charles B. Hundley account book
Scope and Contents Account book fragment (3 pages) of Cadet Charles B. Hundley, Class of 1867. Contains entries for VMI expenses, 1864-1865.
Charles C. Phillips Civil War Papers
Scope and Contents The papers consist of the message book and diary (in one volume) kept by Phillips during the period April 24, 1864 - July 13, 1864. Includes details about Signal Corps activities during this period. Mentions seeing the VMI cadets at Hanover Junction on May 23 (including his brother Samuel Travers Phillips), where they stopped on their way to Richmond after the Battle of New Market on May 15.In addition, the papers include 10 miscellaneous documents dated 1864 - 1865, including...
Charles W. Turner Civil War Letter
Scope and Contents One letter (1865 March 28) from Charles W. Turner to Major Garnett Andrews, commander of the 2nd Foreign Battalion. Turner discussions his commission, other soldiers, and asks to be appointed 1st Lieutenant in Andrews' unit.
Edmund Berkeley letter
Scope and Contents One letter (November 26, 1863) from Cadet Edmund Berkeley to his mother. Berkeley has been informed of his sister's death and offers consolation to his mother. He also gives VMI news and complains about the food (early reference to "growley" a VMI slang word used for mess hall food).
Eliza Clinedinst Crim correspondence
Scope and Contents Correspondence and postcards (approximately 12 items) of Eliza Clinedinst Crim "Mother of the New Market Corps." Mrs. Crim writes to Charles M. Wesson, James B. Baylor, and others; the letters contain reminiscences about the Battle of New Market and various VMI alumni. Also miscellaneous other items.
Erskine Mayo Ross papers
Scope and Contents Papers consist of three oversized items. 1. Certificate (13.5" x 11.5"), 1875 April 14, granting Ross permission to practice law in California. 2. Certificate (22" x 18"), 1887 Jan. 13, judicial appointment to U.S. District Court, Southern District of California. 3. Certificate (23" x 17.5"), 1895 Feb. 22, judicial appointment for U.S. Circuit Court, 9th District.
Francis Lee Smith Family papers
Scope and Contents Miscellaneous papers (5 items) of the family of Francis Lee Smith, a prominent lawyer in antebellum Alexandria, VA. Items relating to his son Francis L. Smith, Jr. (VMI Class of 1867/New Market cadet) include oath of allegiance verification, dated May 22, 1865, Amelia Court House, VA; letter with enclosure, 1867, from VMI Treasurer Robert H. Campbell concerning collection of a bill; telegram to Gov. Fitzhugh Lee, 1887. An account book contains a list of cash receipts, for F. L. Smith, Sr.,...
- Subject: New Market Cadets X
- 1 Andrews, Garnett, 1837-1903
- 1 Arnold, Laura Ann Jackson, 1826-1911
- 1 Atwill, Samuel F. (Samuel Francis), 1846-1864
- 1 Bagnall, John S. (John Seldon), 1844-1922
- 1 Barrett, John Gilchrist
- 1 Barton Family
- 1 Barton, Bolling W. (Bolling Walter), 1845-1924
- 1 Barton, Charles M. (Charles Marshall), 1836-1862
- 1 Barton, Randolph, 1844-1921
- 1 Baylor, James B. (James Bowen), 1848-1924
- 1 Berkeley, Edmund, 1847-1906
- 1 Blackburn, Tom, 1834-1854
- 1 Brannon, John, 1822-1901
- 1 Bransford, John F. (John Francis), 1846-1911
- 1 Chalmers, William M. (William Murray), 1845-1895
- 1 Cochran, Farmer D.
- 1 Colonna, Benjamin A. (Benjamin Azariah), 1843-1924
- 1 Crichton, John A. (John Ashton), 1845-1880
- 2 Crim, Eliza Clinedinst, 1838-1931
- 1 Darden, James D. (James David), 1845-1899
- 1 Davis, Thomas D. (Thomas Dixon), 1843-1925
- 1 Dinwiddie, Hardaway H. (Hardaway Hunt), 1844-1887
- 2 Ezekiel, Moses Jacob, 1844-1917
- 1 Flannagan, William W. (William Walker), 1843-1923
- 1 Garrow, Harris W. (Harris Walker), 1846-1916
- 1 Gilham, William, 1818-1872
- 1 Hanna, John F. (John Francis), 1843-1885
- 1 Harris, Willis O. (Willis Overton), 1847-1911
- 1 Hubard, William J. (William James), 1845-1917
- 1 Hundley, Charles B. (Charles Buckler), 1846-1908
- 2 Jackson, Stonewall, 1824-1863
- 1 Jefferson, Thomas G. (Thomas Garland)
- 1 Johnson Family
- 1 Johnson, Francis S. (Francis Smith), 1847-1902
- 1 Johnson, Mortimer H. (Mortimer Howell), 1815-1889
- 1 Johnson, Porter, 1845-1917
- 2 Lee, Robert E. (Robert Edward), 1807-1870
- 1 Letcher, Samuel H. (Samuel Houston), 1848-1914
- 1 Lewis, Norborne C. (Norborne Clark), 1846-1905
- 1 Merritt, James L. (James Love), 1845-1911
- 1 Morgan family
- 1 Morgan, Joseph B.
- 1 Morgan, Patrick H. (Patrick Henry), 1844-1917
- 1 Nalle, G. B. Wallace (Gustavus Brown Wallace), 1846-1926
- 1 Nalle, Philip Pendleton
- 1 Nichols, E. W. (Edward West), 1858-1927
- 1 Overton, Archibald W. (Archibald Waller), 1845-1920
- 1 Phillips, Charles C. (Charles Coatsworth)
- 1 Phillips, Samuel T. (Samuel Travers)
- 2 Pizzini, Andrew, 1846-1913
- 1 Preston, John Thomas Lewis, 1811-1890
- 1 Prince, Joseph B. (Joseph Brown), 1844-1903
- 1 Radford, William N. (William Norvell), 1846-1872
- 1 Randolph, Norwood B. (Norwood Beverley), 1849-1874
- 1 Robinson, Thomas B. (Thomas Beverly), 1836-1895
- 1 Roller Family
- 1 Roller, John E. (John Edwin), 1844-1917
- 1 Ross, Erskine M. (Erskine Mayo), 1845-1928
- 2 Royster, Lawrence, 1841-1914
- 1 Rutherfoord, Thomas M. (Thomas Meldrum), 1848-1914
- 1 Shields, John H. (John Hardy), 1846-1875
- 1 Shipp, Scott, 1839-1917
- 1 Shriver Family
- 2 Shriver, Samuel S. (Samuel Sprigg), 1843-1881
- 1 Smith, Clifton H.
- 2 Smith, Edward H. (Edward Harvie), 1845-1912
- 1 Smith, Francis H. (Francis Henney), 1812-1890
- 1 Smith, Francis L. (Francis Lee), 1845-1916
- 1 Smith, Sara Henderson, 1812-1884
- 2 Stanard, Jaqueline Beverly, 1845-1864
- 1 Tate, Thomas G.
- 1 Triplett, John R. (John Richards), 1845-1882
- 1 Tunstall, John L. (John Liggat), 1845-1877
- 1 Turner, Charles W. (Charles William), 1846-1907
- 1 Turner, Robert K.
- 1 Walker, Samuel T., 1830-1863
- 1 Wesson, Charles M. (Charles Macon), 1847-1924
- 1 White, Thomas W. (Thomas Wilson), 1846-1907
- 1 Wiginton, John B.
- 1 Williamson, Thomas H. (Thomas Hoomes), 1813-1888
- 1 Wise, Henry A. (Henry Alexander), 1842-1918
- 1 Witt, James E. (James Etchison), 1845-1936 ∧ less