Showing Collections: 11 - 20 of 41
Scope and Contents One letter from Thomas B. Robinson (VMI Class of 1856 and faculty member) recommending Cadet Francis S. Johnson for service in the Confederate Army. The letter is dated March 20, 1865.
Scope and Contents Miscellaneous papers (6 items) of Hardaway H. Dinwiddie, including manuscript of VMI valedictory speech, 1867; "phrenological analysis" 1858; calling card; poems about the New Market Cadets; certificate of withdrawal from Lexington's Masonic Lodge, 1868; and 1867 VMI commencement program.
Scope and Contents Correspondence (2 items) of Harris W. Garrow. Letter, June 9, 1904, from Rose Pendleton to Garrow, in which Pendleton thanks Garrow for his contribution to the hospital fund. Letter, Dec. 2, 1916, from Garrow to A. B. Thorburn of Liverpool, England, in which Garrow mentions the New Market Medal.
Scope and Contents Miscellaneous Civil War papers of James Darden, a New Market Cadet who later joined the CSA. Two orders (Feb. 28 and March 21, 1865) signed by Darden; one CSA 5 dollar bill; one list of clothing signed by Darden; bank note, March 9th, 1865. Collection also includes typescript biographical sketch "Record of J. D. Darden."
Scope and Contents The collection consists of one letter from New Market Cadet James E. Witt (Class of 1867), written from VMI HQ at the Alms House in Richmond, VA, dated 1865 February 8. Witt had just resigned his cadetship in order to join the Confederate Army during what turned out to be the last weeks of the war. The letter, addressed to "Dear Miss" [Fannie, last name unknown] is largely personal in nature, involving his relationship with the young woman. However, he does mention the resignation of large...
Scope and Contents Two letters from Cadet Merritt to his father. 1863 Nov. 24, discusses school expenses, mentions the Corps being called to defendagainst Averell's raids; reports dissatisfaction with VMI (complains of hunger, gets " beef, irish potatoes, milk" only). May 16, 1864 written on the day after the Battle of New Market describes being wounded, action on battlefield, mentions cadets Norborne C. Lewis (Class of 1867) and John A. Crichton (Class of 1866). Letter was possibly written from the Bushong House...
Scope and Contents Collection (ca. 20 items) includes letters from Cadet Stanard to his family (1863-1864); telegram concerning Stanard's body; letters from his brother Robert to their mother (1865); 2 essays written at VMI.
Scope and Contents The John E. Roller Papers consist of personal incoming and outgoing correspondence, 1862-1870, including Civil War era letters from cadet friends concerning life at VMI; Civil War dispatches and telegrams (1864), dating from his service with the Confederate States Engineers, including one document signed by General Robert E. Lee; scrapbook, ca. 1910, containing clippings about Civil War battles, veterans, unit reunions, monument...
Scope and Contents Papers from the career of John F. Bransford. The papers include correspondence, 1889-1916 (6 items); articles re: Central American research; medical school diploma and various certificates; and paroled prisoner's pass (April 10, 1865).
Scope and Contents Hanna's diary contains a colorful account of life at VMI and in Lexington during the spring of 1864. Entries begin April 17, 1864 and end May 9, 1864. On May 10, the cadets were called to active duty at the request of Gen. John C. Breckinridge and on May 15 participated in the Battle of New Market. The entries contain comments about VMI activities and people, Lexington social life, and discussion of personal concerns. This volume was picked up by a Union soldier, probably when Union...
- Subject: New Market Cadets X
- 1 Andrews, Garnett, 1837-1903
- 1 Arnold, Laura Ann Jackson, 1826-1911
- 1 Atwill, Samuel F. (Samuel Francis), 1846-1864
- 1 Bagnall, John S. (John Seldon), 1844-1922
- 1 Barrett, John Gilchrist
- 1 Barton Family
- 1 Barton, Bolling W. (Bolling Walter), 1845-1924
- 1 Barton, Charles M. (Charles Marshall), 1836-1862
- 1 Barton, Randolph, 1844-1921
- 1 Baylor, James B. (James Bowen), 1848-1924
- 1 Berkeley, Edmund, 1847-1906
- 1 Blackburn, Tom, 1834-1854
- 1 Brannon, John, 1822-1901
- 1 Bransford, John F. (John Francis), 1846-1911
- 1 Chalmers, William M. (William Murray), 1845-1895
- 1 Cochran, Farmer D.
- 1 Colonna, Benjamin A. (Benjamin Azariah), 1843-1924
- 1 Crichton, John A. (John Ashton), 1845-1880
- 2 Crim, Eliza Clinedinst, 1838-1931
- 1 Darden, James D. (James David), 1845-1899
- 1 Davis, Thomas D. (Thomas Dixon), 1843-1925
- 1 Dinwiddie, Hardaway H. (Hardaway Hunt), 1844-1887
- 2 Ezekiel, Moses Jacob, 1844-1917
- 1 Flannagan, William W. (William Walker), 1843-1923
- 1 Garrow, Harris W. (Harris Walker), 1846-1916
- 1 Gilham, William, 1818-1872
- 1 Hanna, John F. (John Francis), 1843-1885
- 1 Harris, Willis O. (Willis Overton), 1847-1911
- 1 Hubard, William J. (William James), 1845-1917
- 1 Hundley, Charles B. (Charles Buckler), 1846-1908
- 2 Jackson, Stonewall, 1824-1863
- 1 Jefferson, Thomas G. (Thomas Garland)
- 1 Johnson Family
- 1 Johnson, Francis S. (Francis Smith), 1847-1902
- 1 Johnson, Mortimer H. (Mortimer Howell), 1815-1889
- 1 Johnson, Porter, 1845-1917
- 2 Lee, Robert E. (Robert Edward), 1807-1870
- 1 Letcher, Samuel H. (Samuel Houston), 1848-1914
- 1 Lewis, Norborne C. (Norborne Clark), 1846-1905
- 1 Merritt, James L. (James Love), 1845-1911
- 1 Morgan family
- 1 Morgan, Joseph B.
- 1 Morgan, Patrick H. (Patrick Henry), 1844-1917
- 1 Nalle, G. B. Wallace (Gustavus Brown Wallace), 1846-1926
- 1 Nalle, Philip Pendleton
- 1 Nichols, E. W. (Edward West), 1858-1927
- 1 Overton, Archibald W. (Archibald Waller), 1845-1920
- 1 Phillips, Charles C. (Charles Coatsworth)
- 1 Phillips, Samuel T. (Samuel Travers)
- 2 Pizzini, Andrew, 1846-1913
- 1 Preston, John Thomas Lewis, 1811-1890
- 1 Prince, Joseph B. (Joseph Brown), 1844-1903
- 1 Radford, William N. (William Norvell), 1846-1872
- 1 Randolph, Norwood B. (Norwood Beverley), 1849-1874
- 1 Robinson, Thomas B. (Thomas Beverly), 1836-1895
- 1 Roller Family
- 1 Roller, John E. (John Edwin), 1844-1917
- 1 Ross, Erskine M. (Erskine Mayo), 1845-1928
- 2 Royster, Lawrence, 1841-1914
- 1 Rutherfoord, Thomas M. (Thomas Meldrum), 1848-1914
- 1 Shields, John H. (John Hardy), 1846-1875
- 1 Shipp, Scott, 1839-1917
- 1 Shriver Family
- 2 Shriver, Samuel S. (Samuel Sprigg), 1843-1881
- 1 Smith, Clifton H.
- 2 Smith, Edward H. (Edward Harvie), 1845-1912
- 1 Smith, Francis H. (Francis Henney), 1812-1890
- 1 Smith, Francis L. (Francis Lee), 1845-1916
- 1 Smith, Sara Henderson, 1812-1884
- 2 Stanard, Jaqueline Beverly, 1845-1864
- 1 Tate, Thomas G.
- 1 Triplett, John R. (John Richards), 1845-1882
- 1 Tunstall, John L. (John Liggat), 1845-1877
- 1 Turner, Charles W. (Charles William), 1846-1907
- 1 Turner, Robert K.
- 1 Walker, Samuel T., 1830-1863
- 1 Wesson, Charles M. (Charles Macon), 1847-1924
- 1 White, Thomas W. (Thomas Wilson), 1846-1907
- 1 Wiginton, John B.
- 1 Williamson, Thomas H. (Thomas Hoomes), 1813-1888
- 1 Wise, Henry A. (Henry Alexander), 1842-1918
- 1 Witt, James E. (James Etchison), 1845-1936 ∧ less