Showing Collections: 21 - 30 of 41
Scope and Contents Letters (3 items) written by Cadet John H. Shields to his parents while he was a cadet at VMI. Items are dated March 24 and April 7, 1864, and undated letter fragment. In addition to routine matters, letter of March 24 mentions faculty member Thomas H. Williamson going to Panther's Gap to "survey the land, and make arrangements for throwing up fortifications and breastworks"; and discusses how cadets coped with the rationing of food. Miscellaneous unrelated document: field...
Scope and Contents Miscellaneous personal papers (5 items) of Cadet John L. Tunstall. Includes one letter from Cadet Tunstall to his mother, in which he describes the cermonies marking the second anniversary of the Battle of New Market (including the reinterment of 5 of the cadets killed at New Market), recalls the horror of the war, and mentions visit of Robert E. Lee to Stonewall Jackson's gravesite; 2 notebooks containing VMI Class notes (Engineering); one photograph album containing ca. 33 images of...
Scope and Contents One letter from Cadet Triplett to his cousin, dated October 11, 1863. Discusses difficulty of having new shoes made because of the scarcity of leather.
Scope and Contents Miscellaneous papers, 7 items, of John S. Bagnall, who fought at the Battle of New Market. Included are two letters (1921) from Eliza Clinedinst Crim, the New Market resident who came to the assistance of wounded cadets after the Battle of New Market; the letter of April 20 mentions Cadet Moses Ezekiel caring for the mortally wounded Cadet Thomas Jefferson. Also includes a VMI grade report (1862); two receipts for payment of tuition and diploma; and an envelope containing 2 of Bagnall's...
Scope and Contents The papers consist of 26 letters, bulk 1862-1865, from Mortimer Johnson and his son Porter to members of their immediate family. The Johnson family, originally from West Virginia, moved to Brownsburg in Rockbridge County, Virginia, although they maintained close ties to their former home. Topics in Mortimer's letters include civilian life during the war; the animosity between Union and Confederate sympathizers in West Virginia (the letter of April 28, 1863 discusses the Union loyalty of...
Scope and Contents Civil War parole document granted to Lawrence Royster after surrender of the Confederacy, dated May 16, 1865, Charlottesville, Virginia. The document gives him "permission to go to his home in Richmond, Virginia".
Scope and Contents The collection consists of twelve items. Included are letters (8 items), 1862-1864, addressed to Cadet Patrick H. Morgan. Those from his father (James B. Morgan of Currituck,Co. NC) contain news of Civil War civilian & home life Currituck Co., North Carolina, 1863-1864. Specific topics include enemy raids for food and supplies, diptheria, an uncle's death in battle, and the hardships of war. Other letters are from family friends and cousin John B. Wiginton. Also included are Cadet Morgan's...
Scope and Contents The collection consists of the miscellaneous papers of noted 19th century sculptor Moses Jacob Ezekiel. Included is correspondence to Virginia Military Institute Superintendent Edward West Nichols and others, 1867- 1917, some relating to the design of the Battle of New Market memorial sculpture Virginia Mourning Her Dead; pen and ink sketches by Ezekiel (ca. 67 items); a typescript version of Ezekiel's autobiography, Memoirs from the Baths of Diocletian and miscellaneous printed material.
Scope and Contents One letter (January 15, 1865) written to Cadet G. B. Wallace Nalle by his father Philip Pendleton Nalle of Culpepper Co., Virginia; Mr. Nalle urges Cadet Nalle to remain at VMI rather than join the Confederate Army. Also one letter fragment from Cadet Nalle's mother, ca. 1865, in which Mrs. Nalle discusses the actions of Union troops in Culpepper Co. and other war news.
Scope and Contents The New Market Collection consists primarily of reminiscences of the Battle of New Market Virginia (May 15, 1864) written by participants and other witnesses between 1894-1915. Written in response to specific inquiries and questionnaires, these memoirs were collected by various groups and individuals, including the VMI Alumni Association, author/historian Edward R. Turner, Henry A. Wise (VMI Class of 1862 and battle veteran) and Benjamin A. Colonna (VMI Class of 1864 and battle veteran). In...
- Subject: New Market Cadets X
- 1 Andrews, Garnett, 1837-1903
- 1 Arnold, Laura Ann Jackson, 1826-1911
- 1 Atwill, Samuel F. (Samuel Francis), 1846-1864
- 1 Bagnall, John S. (John Seldon), 1844-1922
- 1 Barrett, John Gilchrist
- 1 Barton Family
- 1 Barton, Bolling W. (Bolling Walter), 1845-1924
- 1 Barton, Charles M. (Charles Marshall), 1836-1862
- 1 Barton, Randolph, 1844-1921
- 1 Baylor, James B. (James Bowen), 1848-1924
- 1 Berkeley, Edmund, 1847-1906
- 1 Blackburn, Tom, 1834-1854
- 1 Brannon, John, 1822-1901
- 1 Bransford, John F. (John Francis), 1846-1911
- 1 Chalmers, William M. (William Murray), 1845-1895
- 1 Cochran, Farmer D.
- 1 Colonna, Benjamin A. (Benjamin Azariah), 1843-1924
- 1 Crichton, John A. (John Ashton), 1845-1880
- 2 Crim, Eliza Clinedinst, 1838-1931
- 1 Darden, James D. (James David), 1845-1899
- 1 Davis, Thomas D. (Thomas Dixon), 1843-1925
- 1 Dinwiddie, Hardaway H. (Hardaway Hunt), 1844-1887
- 2 Ezekiel, Moses Jacob, 1844-1917
- 1 Flannagan, William W. (William Walker), 1843-1923
- 1 Garrow, Harris W. (Harris Walker), 1846-1916
- 1 Gilham, William, 1818-1872
- 1 Hanna, John F. (John Francis), 1843-1885
- 1 Harris, Willis O. (Willis Overton), 1847-1911
- 1 Hubard, William J. (William James), 1845-1917
- 1 Hundley, Charles B. (Charles Buckler), 1846-1908
- 2 Jackson, Stonewall, 1824-1863
- 1 Jefferson, Thomas G. (Thomas Garland)
- 1 Johnson Family
- 1 Johnson, Francis S. (Francis Smith), 1847-1902
- 1 Johnson, Mortimer H. (Mortimer Howell), 1815-1889
- 1 Johnson, Porter, 1845-1917
- 2 Lee, Robert E. (Robert Edward), 1807-1870
- 1 Letcher, Samuel H. (Samuel Houston), 1848-1914
- 1 Lewis, Norborne C. (Norborne Clark), 1846-1905
- 1 Merritt, James L. (James Love), 1845-1911
- 1 Morgan family
- 1 Morgan, Joseph B.
- 1 Morgan, Patrick H. (Patrick Henry), 1844-1917
- 1 Nalle, G. B. Wallace (Gustavus Brown Wallace), 1846-1926
- 1 Nalle, Philip Pendleton
- 1 Nichols, E. W. (Edward West), 1858-1927
- 1 Overton, Archibald W. (Archibald Waller), 1845-1920
- 1 Phillips, Charles C. (Charles Coatsworth)
- 1 Phillips, Samuel T. (Samuel Travers)
- 2 Pizzini, Andrew, 1846-1913
- 1 Preston, John Thomas Lewis, 1811-1890
- 1 Prince, Joseph B. (Joseph Brown), 1844-1903
- 1 Radford, William N. (William Norvell), 1846-1872
- 1 Randolph, Norwood B. (Norwood Beverley), 1849-1874
- 1 Robinson, Thomas B. (Thomas Beverly), 1836-1895
- 1 Roller Family
- 1 Roller, John E. (John Edwin), 1844-1917
- 1 Ross, Erskine M. (Erskine Mayo), 1845-1928
- 2 Royster, Lawrence, 1841-1914
- 1 Rutherfoord, Thomas M. (Thomas Meldrum), 1848-1914
- 1 Shields, John H. (John Hardy), 1846-1875
- 1 Shipp, Scott, 1839-1917
- 1 Shriver Family
- 2 Shriver, Samuel S. (Samuel Sprigg), 1843-1881
- 1 Smith, Clifton H.
- 2 Smith, Edward H. (Edward Harvie), 1845-1912
- 1 Smith, Francis H. (Francis Henney), 1812-1890
- 1 Smith, Francis L. (Francis Lee), 1845-1916
- 1 Smith, Sara Henderson, 1812-1884
- 2 Stanard, Jaqueline Beverly, 1845-1864
- 1 Tate, Thomas G.
- 1 Triplett, John R. (John Richards), 1845-1882
- 1 Tunstall, John L. (John Liggat), 1845-1877
- 1 Turner, Charles W. (Charles William), 1846-1907
- 1 Turner, Robert K.
- 1 Walker, Samuel T., 1830-1863
- 1 Wesson, Charles M. (Charles Macon), 1847-1924
- 1 White, Thomas W. (Thomas Wilson), 1846-1907
- 1 Wiginton, John B.
- 1 Williamson, Thomas H. (Thomas Hoomes), 1813-1888
- 1 Wise, Henry A. (Henry Alexander), 1842-1918
- 1 Witt, James E. (James Etchison), 1845-1936 ∧ less