Showing Collections: 31 - 40 of 41
Scope and Contents Annotated typescripts, galley and page proofs, and other pre-publication materials relating to: Letters of a New Market cadet (University of North Carolina Press, 1961) edited by Robert K. Turner and John G. Barrett. Most of the original documents that appear in the book are located in the Jaqueline Beverly Stanard Papers, VMI Archives.
Collection — Box: 1
Scope and Contents Papers consist of two letters (1862) written by Cadet Atwill to his parents, relating anecdotes about life at VMI; one letter (July 1864) from Supt. Francis H. Smith notifying family of Atwill's death; fragment of Atwill's cadet account book. Atwill was thoughtful and religious; his letters also reflect a wonderful sense of humor---they contain amusing anecdotes about wartime cadet life, including a colorful account of cadets stealing chickens from a local farmer in order to supplement the...
Scope and Contents One manuscript notebook (6.5 x 8 inches, ca. 20 pages) covered in blue paper; the cover bears the notation "S. G. Wingfield-VMI-1864 & 65." The notebook contains brief farewell inscriptions written by Wingfield's classmates in 1865; at the end there is a short play or skit, probably original.
Scope and Contents Manuscript (holograph, 19 pages) of VMI valedictory address of Cadet Samuel H. Letcher. The speech was delivered at VMI Finals in July 1869. Annotations by John T. L. Preston.
Contents Note One letter from VMI Board of Visitors member John Brannon to Jacob S. Shriver, appointing Jacob's son Samuel to VMI. The letter is dated 1861 December 23.
Scope and Contents Miscellaneous papers, 8 items, of Thomas M. Rutherfoord. The papers include a paroled prisoner's pass, dated 1865 April 10, from Appomattox Court House; two letters, 1907 and 1911, from Andrew Pizzini, Jr. (VMI Class of 1865 & New Market Cadet); & other documents (1906-1907), primarily concerned with Confederate veterans' activities.
Scope and Contents One commission document appointing Thomas W. White a Second Lieutenant in the Abingdon Virginia Militia. The document is dated 1863 June 27 and signed by Governor John Letcher.
Identifier: VMI Photographs Collection
Scope and Contents The VMI Archives is the official repository for the Institute's collection of permanently maintained photographs. The earliest date from the 1840's and the most recent are digital photos from the current academic year. New items are added regularly.
See our photographs digital collection for online access
See our photographs digital collection for online access
Scope and Contents The collection consists of a one volume notebook compiled in 1862 by Virginia Military Institute Cadet William James Hubard. The bulk of the volume contains poetry and mementos; there are also two diary entries. The poetry includes The Six Plebes and The Old Gray Coat by Sara Henderson Smith, and several poems attributed to Cadets Edward A. Rhodes, John F. Hanna, and Benjamin F. Bishop. Subjects of the verses are VMI life and regulations, including many references to faculty members (Francis H....
Scope and Contents Two items. One telegram, dated May 16, 1864, sent by Cadet William N. Radford to his father after the Battle of New Market. Radford states that "I escaped unhurt in the fight yesterday.." One holograph note, May 15, 1864, from Cadet William M. Chalmers to his mother; states that he is unhurt after the battle. Chalmers later married Radford's sister.
- Subject: New Market Cadets X
- 1 Andrews, Garnett, 1837-1903
- 1 Arnold, Laura Ann Jackson, 1826-1911
- 1 Atwill, Samuel F. (Samuel Francis), 1846-1864
- 1 Bagnall, John S. (John Seldon), 1844-1922
- 1 Barrett, John Gilchrist
- 1 Barton Family
- 1 Barton, Bolling W. (Bolling Walter), 1845-1924
- 1 Barton, Charles M. (Charles Marshall), 1836-1862
- 1 Barton, Randolph, 1844-1921
- 1 Baylor, James B. (James Bowen), 1848-1924
- 1 Berkeley, Edmund, 1847-1906
- 1 Blackburn, Tom, 1834-1854
- 1 Brannon, John, 1822-1901
- 1 Bransford, John F. (John Francis), 1846-1911
- 1 Chalmers, William M. (William Murray), 1845-1895
- 1 Cochran, Farmer D.
- 1 Colonna, Benjamin A. (Benjamin Azariah), 1843-1924
- 1 Crichton, John A. (John Ashton), 1845-1880
- 2 Crim, Eliza Clinedinst, 1838-1931
- 1 Darden, James D. (James David), 1845-1899
- 1 Davis, Thomas D. (Thomas Dixon), 1843-1925
- 1 Dinwiddie, Hardaway H. (Hardaway Hunt), 1844-1887
- 2 Ezekiel, Moses Jacob, 1844-1917
- 1 Flannagan, William W. (William Walker), 1843-1923
- 1 Garrow, Harris W. (Harris Walker), 1846-1916
- 1 Gilham, William, 1818-1872
- 1 Hanna, John F. (John Francis), 1843-1885
- 1 Harris, Willis O. (Willis Overton), 1847-1911
- 1 Hubard, William J. (William James), 1845-1917
- 1 Hundley, Charles B. (Charles Buckler), 1846-1908
- 2 Jackson, Stonewall, 1824-1863
- 1 Jefferson, Thomas G. (Thomas Garland)
- 1 Johnson Family
- 1 Johnson, Francis S. (Francis Smith), 1847-1902
- 1 Johnson, Mortimer H. (Mortimer Howell), 1815-1889
- 1 Johnson, Porter, 1845-1917
- 2 Lee, Robert E. (Robert Edward), 1807-1870
- 1 Letcher, Samuel H. (Samuel Houston), 1848-1914
- 1 Lewis, Norborne C. (Norborne Clark), 1846-1905
- 1 Merritt, James L. (James Love), 1845-1911
- 1 Morgan family
- 1 Morgan, Joseph B.
- 1 Morgan, Patrick H. (Patrick Henry), 1844-1917
- 1 Nalle, G. B. Wallace (Gustavus Brown Wallace), 1846-1926
- 1 Nalle, Philip Pendleton
- 1 Nichols, E. W. (Edward West), 1858-1927
- 1 Overton, Archibald W. (Archibald Waller), 1845-1920
- 1 Phillips, Charles C. (Charles Coatsworth)
- 1 Phillips, Samuel T. (Samuel Travers)
- 2 Pizzini, Andrew, 1846-1913
- 1 Preston, John Thomas Lewis, 1811-1890
- 1 Prince, Joseph B. (Joseph Brown), 1844-1903
- 1 Radford, William N. (William Norvell), 1846-1872
- 1 Randolph, Norwood B. (Norwood Beverley), 1849-1874
- 1 Robinson, Thomas B. (Thomas Beverly), 1836-1895
- 1 Roller Family
- 1 Roller, John E. (John Edwin), 1844-1917
- 1 Ross, Erskine M. (Erskine Mayo), 1845-1928
- 2 Royster, Lawrence, 1841-1914
- 1 Rutherfoord, Thomas M. (Thomas Meldrum), 1848-1914
- 1 Shields, John H. (John Hardy), 1846-1875
- 1 Shipp, Scott, 1839-1917
- 1 Shriver Family
- 2 Shriver, Samuel S. (Samuel Sprigg), 1843-1881
- 1 Smith, Clifton H.
- 2 Smith, Edward H. (Edward Harvie), 1845-1912
- 1 Smith, Francis H. (Francis Henney), 1812-1890
- 1 Smith, Francis L. (Francis Lee), 1845-1916
- 1 Smith, Sara Henderson, 1812-1884
- 2 Stanard, Jaqueline Beverly, 1845-1864
- 1 Tate, Thomas G.
- 1 Triplett, John R. (John Richards), 1845-1882
- 1 Tunstall, John L. (John Liggat), 1845-1877
- 1 Turner, Charles W. (Charles William), 1846-1907
- 1 Turner, Robert K.
- 1 Walker, Samuel T., 1830-1863
- 1 Wesson, Charles M. (Charles Macon), 1847-1924
- 1 White, Thomas W. (Thomas Wilson), 1846-1907
- 1 Wiginton, John B.
- 1 Williamson, Thomas H. (Thomas Hoomes), 1813-1888
- 1 Wise, Henry A. (Henry Alexander), 1842-1918
- 1 Witt, James E. (James Etchison), 1845-1936 ∧ less