Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 16
Scope and Contents The collection consists of the miscellaneous papers of three members of the Barton family who attended the Virginia Military Institute during the mid-19th century. Papers relating to Cadet Charles M. Barton (VMI Class of 1856) include a letter dated September 28, 1855 from Charles to his cousin Joseph M. Barton, in which he complains about VMI life and about his instructor Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson (Jackson is described as a "hell of a fool"). Other Charles Barton material is found in a...
Scope and Contents The collection contains three notebooks, two miscellaneous documents, and an annotated analytical geometry text that belonged to Virginia Military Institute Cadet Edward C. Shepherd during his years as a VMI student, 1851-1855. The first notebook contains approximately 50 pen and ink, hand-tinted drawings by Shepherd; these were completed as assignments for VMI courses and some bear the signature of Superintendent Francis H. Smith (" Examined correct, F.H. Smith"). This book also includes a...
Scope and Contents The collection contains one essay and three poems by George S. Patton. The essay (2 pages), ca. 1903, discusses the significance of the VMI Corps' participation in the Battle of New Market (May 1864) and the New Market ceremony; it was probably written during the year Patton attended VMI or shortly thereafter. The typescript original poems are entitled "A Dream" (written in France, 1917, "God of Battles", and "Fear"; the latter two are signed by Patton.
Scope and Contents One 3-ring binder containing Organic Chemistry class notes, and misc. other notes, kept by Cadet George V. Atkison, VMI Class of 1940.
Scope and Contents Notebook compiled by VMI Cadet Howard Osburn, containing copied poetry, miscellaneous orders, anecdote concerning Benjamin Ficklin, Class of 1849. 125 pages; binding not intact.
Scope and Contents The collection includes the notebook compiled by Cadet James A. Forsythe, containing, copied poetry and company rosters; and the graduation bible presented to Cadet Forsythe. The notebook shows evidence of extensive water damage. Forsythe's photograph album is also available in the VMI Archives.
Scope and Contents The John L. Cochran Papers consist of a report card (1879) from the secondary school Cochran attended before entering the Virginia Military Institute; one letter (September 4, 1880) from VMI Cadet Cochran to his mother; a diary, with sketches (1881), containing short and sporadic entries made while he was a student at the Virginia Military Institute and concerning various aspects of cadet life; and four volumes of class notes (1882-1885) taken while Cochran was a student at Swarthmore College...
Scope and Contents Miscellaneous personal papers (5 items) of Cadet John L. Tunstall. Includes one letter from Cadet Tunstall to his mother, in which he describes the cermonies marking the second anniversary of the Battle of New Market (including the reinterment of 5 of the cadets killed at New Market), recalls the horror of the war, and mentions visit of Robert E. Lee to Stonewall Jackson's gravesite; 2 notebooks containing VMI Class notes (Engineering); one photograph album containing ca. 33 images of...
Scope and Contents Poetry notebook compiled by Cadet Julien A. Hall (Virginia Military Institute Class of 1879) in 1875-1876. Such notebooks were popular among cadets of the mid to late 19th century. They typically contain VMI-related poetry, often not written by the notebook's owner, as well as misc. other poetry and notes.
Scope and Contents The collection consists of two poetry notebooks compiled by Virginia Military Institute Cadet Robert Beverley during the period 1874-1875. The volumes contains original poetry composed by VMI cadets, as well as copied verses. Cadet authors include Smith Caruthers, Class of 1875; Samuel M. Cooper, Class of 1876; Selby Jones, Class of 1864; and Charles D. Walker, Class of 1869. The notebooks also contain poetry by faculty member Robert L. Madison. An index is located in front of volume one.
- Subject: Notebooks X
- 1 Arnold, William E. (William Elisha), 1830-1902
- 1 Atkison, George V. (George Vinson), 1917-
- 1 Barksdale, Thomas F. (Thomas Flournoy), 1833-1902
- 1 Barton Family
- 1 Barton, Bolling W. (Bolling Walter), 1845-1924
- 1 Barton, Charles M. (Charles Marshall), 1836-1862
- 1 Barton, Randolph, 1844-1921
- 1 Beverley, Robert, 1858-1928
- 2 Blackburn, Tom, 1834-1854
- 1 Caruthers, Smith
- 1 Cochran, John L. (John Lynn), 1863-1887
- 1 Cooper, Samuel M.
- 1 Ficklin, Benjamin F. (Benjamin Franklin), 1827-1871
- 1 Forsythe, James A. (James Adger), 1853-1925
- 1 Gatewood, Robert, 1829-1909
- 1 Hall, Julien A.
- 1 Hubard, William J. (William James), 1845-1917
- 3 Jackson, Stonewall, 1824-1863
- 1 Jones, Selby
- 1 Lee, Robert E. (Robert Edward), 1807-1870
- 1 Madison, Robert L. (Robert Lewis), 1828-1878
- 1 Patton, George S. (George Smith), 1885-1945
- 1 Shepherd, Edward C. (Edward Clarence), 1835-1907
- 3 Smith, Francis H. (Francis Henney), 1812-1890
- 1 Smith, Sara Henderson, 1812-1884
- 1 Tams, William P. (William Purviance), 1852-1920
- 1 Tardy, Thomas H. (Thomas Howard), 1889-1960
- 1 Tunstall, John L. (John Liggat), 1845-1877
- 1 Virginia Military Institute. Department of Chemistry
- 1 Walker, Charles D.
- 1 Wiegand, William E. (William Edward), 1853-1928 ∧ less