Showing Collections: 11 - 16 of 16
Scope and Contents Manuscript notebook-diary (1849-1853) of Robert Gatewood. Entries include original and copies poetry dating from his last year at VMI; essays; diary entries dating from period 1851-1853, written while Gatewood was teaching at the College of William and Mary. Diary entries and notes frequently have a religious theme.
Scope and Contents The collection consists of two items. 1. Letter dated January 25, 1855 from a Prussian official, denying Barksdale and his roommates permission to enter the Prussian Army. 2. Notebook contains class notes, including notes taken in Stonewall Jackson's class section in Natural Philsophy (a course that would today be most similar to Physics) and notes taken in Analytical Geometry class taught by Francis H. Smith; resolution issued by cadets following murder of Cadet Thomas Blackburn, Class of...
Contents Note The collection (3 items) consists of the VMI account book (1910-1914) of Cadet William H. Tardy; a signed loan agreement, September 1913, between Tardy and VMI; and his writing exercise book.
Scope and Contents The collection consists of a poetry notebook compiled by William Elisha Arnold during the period 1849-1864; the bulk of the entries date from the years in which he was a student at the Virginia Military Institute, 1849-1853. Such notebooks were popular among VMI cadets of the mid-19th century and typically contain both original and copied verse. The Arnold notebook contains approximately 50 poems by Arnold, other cadets, various 19th century poets, and anonymous authors. Cadet poetry includes...
Scope and Contents The collection consists of a one volume notebook compiled in 1862 by Virginia Military Institute Cadet William James Hubard. The bulk of the volume contains poetry and mementos; there are also two diary entries. The poetry includes The Six Plebes and The Old Gray Coat by Sara Henderson Smith, and several poems attributed to Cadets Edward A. Rhodes, John F. Hanna, and Benjamin F. Bishop. Subjects of the verses are VMI life and regulations, including many references to faculty members (Francis H....
Scope and Contents The collection consists of one notebook that belonged to Cadet William P. Tams, Virginia Military Institute Class of 1873. Included are class notes for courses in Mineralogy, Civil and Military Engineering, and Chemistry; a copy of a lecture by Superintendent Francis H. Smith ("Lecture to the 1st Class on Moral Sense, November 5, 1872"); and grade reports in Chemistry, Physiology, Latin and Astronomy.
- Subject: Notebooks X
- 1 Arnold, William E. (William Elisha), 1830-1902
- 1 Atkison, George V. (George Vinson), 1917-
- 1 Barksdale, Thomas F. (Thomas Flournoy), 1833-1902
- 1 Barton Family
- 1 Barton, Bolling W. (Bolling Walter), 1845-1924
- 1 Barton, Charles M. (Charles Marshall), 1836-1862
- 1 Barton, Randolph, 1844-1921
- 1 Beverley, Robert, 1858-1928
- 2 Blackburn, Tom, 1834-1854
- 1 Caruthers, Smith
- 1 Cochran, John L. (John Lynn), 1863-1887
- 1 Cooper, Samuel M.
- 1 Ficklin, Benjamin F. (Benjamin Franklin), 1827-1871
- 1 Forsythe, James A. (James Adger), 1853-1925
- 1 Gatewood, Robert, 1829-1909
- 1 Hall, Julien A.
- 1 Hubard, William J. (William James), 1845-1917
- 3 Jackson, Stonewall, 1824-1863
- 1 Jones, Selby
- 1 Lee, Robert E. (Robert Edward), 1807-1870
- 1 Madison, Robert L. (Robert Lewis), 1828-1878
- 1 Patton, George S. (George Smith), 1885-1945
- 1 Shepherd, Edward C. (Edward Clarence), 1835-1907
- 3 Smith, Francis H. (Francis Henney), 1812-1890
- 1 Smith, Sara Henderson, 1812-1884
- 1 Tams, William P. (William Purviance), 1852-1920
- 1 Tardy, Thomas H. (Thomas Howard), 1889-1960
- 1 Tunstall, John L. (John Liggat), 1845-1877
- 1 Virginia Military Institute. Department of Chemistry
- 1 Walker, Charles D.
- 1 Wiegand, William E. (William Edward), 1853-1928 ∧ less